Bugs !

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Pinkypants

Bugs !

Post by Pinkypants » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:59 am

I have 5 crabs. 3 are in molting tanks. 2 of them are slowly coming up. I put fresh water & food, then noticed loads of tiny brown bugs inside the food jar (original jar from store, always sealed, except when feeding). I'm scared, this is the jar I've used for weeks!! I've actually noticed unusually extra activity lately. I'm preparing new substrate but how can I know if crabbies are safe or not at this point ?? Any particular symptoms to look for ? OMG, these bugs can be anywhere by now !!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Bugs !

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 am

They are most likely grain beetles, which are harmless. Your crabs probably enjoyed eating them along with the food! I've had store bought dried items come already loaded with bugs before, even thought it was sealed tightly and bought at different locations. I actually froze mine and fed it, the crabs didn't care one way or another.

However, if you take it back and raise a stink you should get a refund depending on the store.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 am

Hello! Why are your crabs in molting tanks? It really isn't necessary to move them for molting. Back in the day it used to be deemed that way, but if your substrate is the recommended depth (minimum 6" or three times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper trumps), and your tank isn't overcrowded - then your crabs should be able to molt in the crabitat. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 pm

What is the food you are feeding? Some of the store bought ones have preservatives that are bad for crabs.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P