Fruit Flies in Tank

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Fruit Flies in Tank

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 am

Hi Everyone!
Sorry for being so inactive, school has been consuming my time at the moment. We have had tests in every class. Middle School is hard!
But I have a problem in my tank. I have a ton of fruit flies infesting my food dish. I don’t even have fruit in there! I put a container of Dawn and vinegar covered in foil with holes so they fly in there and die, up on a pedestal where my crabs can’t reach in my tank. It hasn’t worked. Will they hurt my crabs? I know I can’t wait until winter because my crabs tank will be warm anyway. I’m out of ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

elly_bananas

Re: Fruit Flies in Tank

Post by elly_bananas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 am

Ok, so what may be more helpful and safer for crabbies is this tried n true method. Take an empty water bottle. Cut it in half, flip the part u drink from upside down and insert into the bottom part of the bottle, and instead of using dawn, just use apple cider vinegar it works better than the dawn n vinegar and its safer. They fly in and cant fly out this way.

as for the flies... theyre pretty normal and annoying, bout all u can do i guess. good luck!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:18 am

Ok thanks.

Sophia aka "Eggs"

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:44 am

I also put honey in my apple cider vinegar to make it smell really sweet. Also i haven't ever cut my bottle in half ...i just took the cap off and dug it in the sub a litte or propped it up so it couldn't spill. Adding a bit of honey on the inside of the neck and opening to really attract when I was down to the last few.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks

Sophia aka "Eggs"

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:52 pm

I am having the same problem with fruit flies also, they seem extra bad this year and have found their way into my tank too.
To help get it under control I've stopped feeding fresh foods and feeding smaller potions of dried foods and replacing after 1-3 days, instead of my usual once a week (probably the culprit of my infestation).
Also have vinegar traps set up around the house and one on top of the tank.

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Just Jay wrote:I also put honey in my apple cider vinegar to make it smell really sweet. Also i haven't ever cut my bottle in half ...i just took the cap off and dug it in the sub a litte or propped it up so it couldn't spill. Adding a bit of honey on the inside of the neck and opening to really attract when I was down to the last few.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I invert the top to make it more difficult for them to fly out. In my experience, its more efficient. I should edit tho, i cut the top third of the bottle in half.. oops

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:09 pm

If they don't go after the vinegar then they aren't fruit flies, they are fungus gnats.

My recipe for fruit flies is 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar, one drop of dishsoap and a pinch of honey or sugar. Change when there are 25 or more drowned flies as they seem to loose interest when there are too many of their dead brethren in it. Use for at least 5 days to catch them as they hatch out, and if there are a lot have multiple bowls.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:54 am

wodesorel wrote:If they don't go after the vinegar then they aren't fruit flies, they are fungus gnats.

My recipe for fruit flies is 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar, one drop of dishsoap and a pinch of honey or sugar. Change when there are 25 or more drowned flies as they seem to loose interest when there are too many of their dead brethren in it. Use for at least 5 days to catch them as they hatch out, and if there are a lot have multiple bowls.
How do we catch fungus gnats?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 am

I've read that cutting a potato in half, putting it cut side down, and changing it daily will bait the larvae.

For plants that have fungus gnats they sell yellow sticky pads because they are attracted to the color yellow, but those are not safe in crab tanks.

Honestly, I live with them. They don't go traveling and they just sort of exist. Those, the springtails and the beneficial mites that took up residence in all my tropical tanks do a bang up job on cleanup and mold control so I just look the other way and pretend they aren't there. Going on 8 years and it works for me.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm

wodesorel wrote:I've read that cutting a potato in half, putting it cut side down, and changing it daily will bait the larvae.

For plants that have fungus gnats they sell yellow sticky pads because they are attracted to the color yellow, but those are not safe in crab tanks.

Honestly, I live with them. They don't go traveling and they just sort of exist. Those, the springtails and the beneficial mites that took up residence in all my tropical tanks do a bang up job on cleanup and mold control so I just look the other way and pretend they aren't there. Going on 8 years and it works for me.
The problem with the potato is it will "catch" your pill bugs/isopods too if you have them :wink: LOL couldn't resist!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks guys, I’m feeding mostly eggshells and oats, stuff like that. I’ll stay away from fruit until winter when they aren’t arounf

Sophia aka "Eggs"