BUGS?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
ErrorTsukiko

BUGS?

Post by ErrorTsukiko » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm

So..for about the past week I've noticed a couple of micro black bugs around my hermit crab tank. Never on my actual hermies, but on their shell, and as of this morning, in their freshwater dish. I was stunned, to be honest. Hundreds of these little guys in my tank! Do you think they're dangerous? If so, what can I do to treat it?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 112805.jpg <- That's my attempt of linking a picture

Hermiearth

Re: BUGS?

Post by Hermiearth » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Don't sweat it- food mites, they occur in most tanks. If it gets to be too much you could establish an isopod population in your tank as a competitor for the mites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Not mites, springtails! These are actually good to have around, they eat waste and will eat mold and mold spores.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:15 am

wodesorel wrote:Not mites, springtails! These are actually good to have around, they eat waste and will eat mold and mold spores.
A few years ago we saw a big black spot on our driveway. Couldn't figure out what it was. Was it an oil spot? No. We kept looking and looking and it seemed to move. When we touched it with a twig, it dispersed! We thought it was alien life form. :hlol: we even asked a neighbor to take a look. Somehow we found out they were springtails. How would they get in the tank? Can they multiply too much and take over the tank?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm jealous... I want springtails but have had no luck attracting them... and don't worry... while in times of plenty you may get the odd population explosion (just because that's how bugs work - they reproduce quickly when there's an abundance of food), you won't see numbers exceed what the tank can sustain in the long run.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

wodesorel wrote:Not mites, springtails! These are actually good to have around, they eat waste and will eat mold and mold spores.
I didn't think it was a mite, thank you
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!