Fleas?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Fleas?

Post by Moonlightdreams » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 pm

We have two dogs, who may have just been exposed to fleas. Will they harm the crabbies at all? I haven't found anything saying they will, but on the chance that they do have fleas, I want to make sure that they won't hurt the crabs, and if they can, is there anything we can do? Thanks. :)
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fleas?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:We have two dogs, who may have just been exposed to fleas. Will they harm the crabbies at all? I haven't found anything saying they will, but on the chance that they do have fleas, I want to make sure that they won't hurt the crabs, and if they can, is there anything we can do? Thanks. :)
Dont think they will, more likely for the fleas to harm you than the crabs. Regardless, try and keep the dogs out of the room that the crabbies are in to reduce cross contamination - since a warm humid environment is good for all animals.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Nope, the fleaa won't hurt the crabs. I have only ever noticed a few in the crab tank, I think they are dead ones that fall off when my cat sleeps on top the tank.

Flea treatment will however, since both crabs and fleas are arthropods. Do not use bug bombs or any kind of spray or dust around the hermits. If the dogs are being treated wash your hands well before handling the crabs, or their food and water.

We have a gaggle of cats and have been fighting fleas for about two years now. Our vets say almost all of their clients have been having issues and nothing is working like it used to. With cats there aren't as many options so we rotate between Revolution and Advantage. So far no trouble with the crabs but I am always careful!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:43 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Moonlightdreams wrote:We have two dogs, who may have just been exposed to fleas. Will they harm the crabbies at all? I haven't found anything saying they will, but on the chance that they do have fleas, I want to make sure that they won't hurt the crabs, and if they can, is there anything we can do? Thanks. :)
Dont think they will, more likely for the fleas to harm you than the crabs. Regardless, try and keep the dogs out of the room that the crabbies are in to reduce cross contamination - since a warm humid environment is good for all animals.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, the hermit crabs are in the living room, and there's really no way to keep the dogs out, and they've already been near the crabitat. We just gave them their flea and tick tablets, and one of them is now wearing a flea collar, so hopefully, if they do have fleas, they'll die before getting to the crabs. They may not even have them, but we're doing everything we can to stop the little buggers if we can.

I didn't find anything about them on the mites page, so fingers crossed. Thanks for the help. :)
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Topic author
Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 pm

wodesorel wrote:Nope, the fleaa won't hurt the crabs. I have only ever noticed a few in the crab tank, I think they are dead ones that fall off when my cat sleeps on top the tank.

Flea treatment will however, since both crabs and fleas are arthropods. Do not use bug bombs or any kind of spray or dust around the hermits. If the dogs are being treated wash your hands well before handling the crabs, or their food and water.

We have a gaggle of cats and have been fighting fleas for about two years now. Our vets say almost all of their clients have been having issues and nothing is working like it used to. With cats there aren't as many options so we rotate between Revolution and Advantage. So far no trouble with the crabs but I am always careful!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks, Wode. :) We aren't spraying anything, nor using bombs, but one dog does have a flea collar on, and both have just taken their flea and tick tablets. Hopefully none can find their way into the tank.