What to do first - fix mites or let molt?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

What to do first - fix mites or let molt?

Post by sarcasticLynx » Wed May 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi again everyone!

The little crab at the store is still there and I love him with all of my heart. Missing his largest claw and one or two leg segments, but is still the most active crab there!

Now for the bad part: he may have mites? I have only seen small white bugs on the inside of his shell two or three times. It's hard to tell if they're just normal mites or parasites.

Should I attempt to treat him for the mites first? Or should I allow him to molt for the first time?

I have a feeling letting him molt would greatly reduce the chance of a PPS, but it also seems like it would be better to eradicate the (potential?) mites first so they don't infect anyone else.

I do have an ISO tank empty for him.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What to do first - fix mites or let molt?

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed May 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Wait so is he moulting now? If not, I'd treat for mites and then allow him to moult if it was me...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Inside the seashell, not on the crab itself? If not on the crab, don't worry, not mites!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Post by sarcasticLynx » Thu May 03, 2018 6:18 am

Sorry about the confusion! I don't have him yet. I was just pondering what I should do for him when I do get him. Is there an easy way to check for stuck on mites? My vision isn't the best lol!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 03, 2018 6:33 am

My guess is that they were probably food mites. The mites that harm crabs are red. They are usually visible at the joints of the crabs, antennas or on the eyes. There are gill mites to, but you cannot view those without harming the crab. I have luckily never come across these mites in all of my years of crabbing.

Edit: Harmful mites aren't only red.. I was thinking of H. Miles mites when thinking about what harmful mites look like, when those are what kill the harmful mites. :shock: That is a big oops on my part. I'm sorry to anyone that I have misinformed!!! I have ordered the H. Miles mites for my tank and since then I can say I have never had spring tails or food mites. They can be pricey.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu May 03, 2018 8:40 am

You can be easily fooled! I was tricked thinking my new crab had mites, but it was just a tiny little food mite that was on the shell! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!