Possible crab mites?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
stormypanda

Possible crab mites?

Post by stormypanda » Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I recently noticed some tiny white bugs crawling around very quickly on one of my crabs, a PP I have had for over a year now. I managed to capture some of the mites on video (apologies for the low video quality). The link is below and you can see a tiny white bug crawling on the front leg (one of the right) at 7 seconds and one crawling on the back (left) leg at 45 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OJZGPT52Ks

I haven't introduced anything new to the tank for over a year so if it is crab mites, I'm not sure how they got in here. It is possible my one of my crabs brought them in and I just never noticed. I'm really hoping the mites are not parasitic but if they are, I'm willing to get an ISO tank set up and bathe the crabbies. I have had no experience with mites and would appreciate any help with identification. Thanks in advance!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Possible crab mites?

Post by JoeHermits » Thu May 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Hermit crab mites glue themselves to a crab’s eyes, mouthparts, or joints and can only be introduced via an infected hermit crab. They are not capable of running like that.

It is likely a food mite. They are harmless, live in our homes, and are attracted to fresh food.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 24, 2018 3:39 pm

I would go with either predatory mites or springtails, both harmless and beneficial. Food mites chug along, they don't run!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Oh my word...I think for the last month I have been thinking of H. Miles mites when thinking about what harmful mites look like, when those are what kill the harmful mites. :shock: That is a big oops on my part. I'm sorry to anyone that I have misinformed!!! I have ordered the H. Miles mites for my tank and since then I can say I have never had spring tails or food mites. I need to go try to locate some posts... :shock:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com