mites

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
TheCrabLord

mites

Post by TheCrabLord » Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 am

what’s the fastest way to get rid of food mites? they were crawling all up in my food dish and there are a bunch on my wood

piratetoothgir

Re: mites

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 am

Hello! :) Here's a helpful guide on that topic.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92530
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: mites

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Oh Geez...If you follow that guide, you will just drive yourself nuts!!! :hlol:

I used to always have a problem with them and springtails until I purchased H. Miles mites. (Which I had mainly purchased for my garden - and decided to throw some in my tanks)! Since then, no issues.

You can cut down on them by just offering food when your hermit crabs are more likely to be up (for example night hours) - remove it immediately at dawn, and don't place food down again until night time. Also, try to resist using fresh foods for a few weeks during this time.

Food Mites and Springtails do tend to breed into a huge surplus and then die down to a manageable number.

Edit: Bugs and crabbing go hand in hand...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com