a mite...maybe??

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
vanursh

a mite...maybe??

Post by vanursh » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm

so, my daughter takes care of our hermit crabs and she is still learning and she sometimes spills some of the water after she cleans the water bowls and refills them. I noticed some white fuzz, nothing terrible, but I cleaned it all up, ditched some of the sand and decided to just check the crabs. I turned one of the crabs over and noticed a tiny little beige thing crawling. I thought I was seeing things. I put him down. Checked the entire tank (with a flash light) found nothing, even took out some of the sand and moved it around with my finger...nothing...turned him over again and the same little beige creature. ummm...what the heck? I looked at the post about mites, but nothing seems to fit? Any ideas?

piratetoothgir

Re: a mite...maybe??

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Do you have a picture of the bug?
It could very well be an isopod, not a mite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
vanursh

Post by vanursh » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:33 pm

didnt think to try and take pics the first time. whatever it was moved pretty fast. I tried to see if I could see it again and get pics this time, of course this time he looks completely clean. I'll try again tmrw, don't want to bother him too much in one day.

Thats interesting though, I didnt know those could be so little.

I replaced the food with just some shaved coconut in case it is grain mites. Not sure what else to do at this point since I just saw the one. I'll just see what happens over the next couple days.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:18 pm

Hermit crab mites don’t move fast, so at least we know it’s not parasitic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk