Alien bug!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
p2gg86

Alien bug!

Post by p2gg86 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:22 am

I saw different sizes of this alien bug. Could it be harmful? Even the case of beneficial, should the bug be removed? ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Alien bug!

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 am

It looks like a springtail - these are completely harmless to hermits and people and are great to have around. They eat decaying debris and even mold!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:18 am

I’ve seen them in my Isopod tank
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Yay! Springtails! :banana: would too much of them can be a nuisance?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 pm

p2gg86 wrote:Yay! Springtails! :banana: would too much of them can be a nuisance?
Sometimes they will have a huge mass population, and then a quick die off. Either way, they don't bother the hermits. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:43 am

GotButterflies wrote:
p2gg86 wrote:Yay! Springtails! :banana: would too much of them can be a nuisance?
Sometimes they will have a huge mass population, and then a quick die off. Either way, they don't bother the hermits. :)
they are really reproducing so much more now. Many different in sizes from small to big, biggest I saw is probably about 2 millimeters long with color from milky white to dark black. They are all over the places but the plastic ornaments. I even saw them crawling on my crabs. Should I be worried?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:29 am

No. They won’t bother them. They will eventually die off due to there not being enough food for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com