Mosquito larvae / eggs in tank?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Mosquito larvae / eggs in tank?

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:18 pm

I just discovered a bunch of mosquito eggs in the moss pit in my hermie’s tank. I hadn’t changed the water in the moss pit in 2 days. The other 2 water sources (fresh water & salt water) are changed daily so don’t have this problem.

Could there be mosquito eggs in the moist soil in the tank? Do you think I need to scrape the top later, if so how much? I do t visualky see any on the dirt but eeek I don’t want mosquitos everywhere. We had a rogue one in house for 3 days and it was awful, just got rid of it yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Plasmoc

Re: Mosquito larvae / eggs in tank?

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:19 pm

ImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Okay~ a few things to address here. Those are Marimo balls. They really do better if in a fish tank. I do have one in each of my freshwater pools for the crabbies, but I have bubblers and uvb.

Mosquitoes only lay eggs in water.

A moss pit would consist of moist not wet moss. Marimo balls in water do not qualify for a moss pit. I’m sorry. You want sphagnum moss, sheet moss for hermies. I recommend organic; but from the reptile section works too.

Hope that helps you! I would put those in your fishtank if you have one~ or return them where you purchased them from.

Good luck!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:08 am

Sorry, I read a thread a while ago about usin Mosimo balls for hermit crabs as a moss pit and thought this was ok. I’ll shift back to the loose moss like you say (I used that before and they enjoyed it).

Thanks, I thought mosquitos only laid eggs on water but wasn’t sure as Google gave multiple answers... you know what they say about google though lol.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:39 am

I second what GotButterflies mentioned! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:12 pm

No worries. Marimo balls are okay to put in the crabitat, they just don't qualify as a moss pit. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com