Bugs on branch

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Bugs on branch

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:04 pm

The branch has been used for months. The black on the branch I assume is mold. But what are these white bugs?

https://youtu.be/8NOwA93o-rI
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Bugs on branch

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:16 pm

The bugs are definitely springtails.

I'm more interested in the black lumps! It doesn't look like mold. Maybe a fungal infection of the tree? They are so even sized and glossy that it's really neat. Anychance you'd post to a plant group (forum or Facebook) for an ID?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:01 pm

You are right - those black growths are crazy weird!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:27 pm

wodesorel wrote:The bugs are definitely springtails.

I'm more interested in the black lumps! It doesn't look like mold. Maybe a fungal infection of the tree? They are so even sized and glossy that it's really neat. Anychance you'd post to a plant group (forum or Facebook) for an ID?
Springtails are good in a tank, right? Not that I would ever put them in there on purpose. Lol. But I couldn't find an ID on the other stuff. Should I take out the branch?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Springtails are fine! It almost looks like black knot. What kind of tree is it on? I don't think it's harmful to the crabs. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:50 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Springtails are fine! It almost looks like black knot. What kind of tree is it on? I don't think it's harmful to the crabs. :)
It's on one of the branches I got from you months ago. So I know it was clesn when I put it in there.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:01 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Springtails are fine! It almost looks like black knot. What kind of tree is it on? I don't think it's harmful to the crabs. :)
I looked up black knot. Definately looks like it.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:19 am

None of my trees have that. That is really odd! I wonder if it's because of being put into the crabitat. I use the same branches in my crabitats and I don't have it either. Do you mist a lot?

Edit: My humidity is 99% but I don't mist at all.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:30 am

GotButterflies wrote:None of my trees have that. That is really odd! I wonder if it's because of being put into the crabitat. I use the same branches in my crabitats and I don't have it either. Do you mist a lot?

Edit: My humidity is 99% but I don't mist at all.
I don't mist at all. I know it wasn't on your branch to begin with. The branch has been in there a long time. So it's ok in there? I'm really creeped out by it and the springtails too. Lol. Even though they're good for the tank. How to they just "appear" in the tank? How do they get in there?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am

Springtails are beneficial. LOL! If you are creeped out by it, then remove it. You could always bake it to be on the safe side. That will probably kill any bugs on it - but to be honest, springtail typically appear, have a growth burst, and then die off. It's up to you! :)

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:16 am

GotButterflies wrote:Springtails are beneficial. LOL! If you are creeped out by it, then remove it. You could always bake it to be on the safe side. That will probably kill any bugs on it - but to be honest, springtail typically appear, have a growth burst, and then die off. It's up to you! :)
Lol. Ok. I'll leave them.