Some worms!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
p2gg86

Some worms!

Post by p2gg86 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi, I been taking care of two tanks of hermies for over 8 months now. Both tanks with hermies that have been molten and being well. But recently I saw some worms on one of the tanks. With some inside research over HCA, those seem to be the nematodes. Will these be any harm or benefit? Should they be removed? Will these effect long term, short term? Image

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Some worms!

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:30 pm

Nematodes are a rough bunch because they encompass so many species that make meals of so many different things. My guess is that they are a soil or plant nematode since they are obviously reproducing and have not harmed the crabs. These types should not bother living things, but the only way to be certain is to leave them be and see what happens. Personally, I'd try to do a good clean and changeout of the substrate to be safe, but only if it won't put molters at risk.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 am

One crab is down, he/she could be molting. A waiting might be wise at the time. Thank you for the reply.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:50 am

Nematodes have also been known to wipe out colonies of isopods. I also heard somewhere on here that they live in moist substrate.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:04 am

Where do they come from?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:26 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:04 am
Where do they come from?
Can be form natural products, like leaf litter or tree branches. Can be food, can be the hand - aka, digging in the garden, and then putting your hand in the tank without washing it (or washing it properly)... Basically, there's many ways for a way to make one in, and then all they do is divide an conquer!
AwesomeHermit wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:50 am
Nematodes have also been known to wipe out colonies of isopods. I also heard somewhere on here that they live in moist substrate.
Remember, it depends on the species. Some solely eat microbiological life/plant matter, others can predate on other organisms. The species I studied in the lab C.elegans, we fed them bacteria - I think it was E.coli off memory, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something else we had growing for it to eat...
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:10 am

The worms seem to slow down with a temperature change. But they are still there. My crab Eddy was digging out where most worms I can found in my tank. I wonder if he tried to eat the worms...

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:07 pm

found a dead mite in my tank. it was on the food, but after a thoruogh check, there was no more. strange.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!