Flies!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Mittmom

Flies!

Post by Mittmom » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:41 pm

We've had our crabitat for 3 weeks and today I noticed 2 tiny flies in it (fruit flies?). Where did they come from? How do I get rid of them? Maybe if I take the banana bit out... ??

teachincrabbie

Re: Flies!

Post by teachincrabbie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Make sure your taking out the fresh food every morning (put it in at night). I find that my "dry" food (oats, dried eggshells, freeze-dried blood-worms, etc.) can be left out for a bit longer but fresh food only lasts like 12 hours.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:33 pm

We get fruit flies too. Take a cup or bowl and fill it 1/4 full with apple cider vinegar. That attracts them. Add 1-2 drops of dish detergent. That prevents them from getting out of the vinegar. Wrap the top tightly with plastic wrap. I put a rubber band around it. Poke holes big enough for them to get in, but small enough that they can't get out. Place the containers around your tank, not in the tank. It works like a charm for us!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:38 pm

Just to clarify, they fly trap xenocrab mentioned goes on top of or near the tank, not inside it!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Mittmom

Post by Mittmom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:56 am

Thank you! I HAVE been leaving the food in 24 hours (new food each night). I'll start removing it in the morning unless its dried. if the issue continues I'll try the traps.