ants in the tank

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
cghal1

ants in the tank

Post by cghal1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:43 am

hey everyone i’m new here and recently my hermit crabs food keeps getting swarmed by ants and i can’t think of any way to fix it! in less then 30 minutes of changing the food they have swarmed. is it safe and if not what should i do?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ants in the tank

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:01 am

Ants in the tank can be worrisome, as a colony of ants burrowing can consume defenceless moulters. So yes, trying to get the ants out.

Is the queen inside? If so, the complete removal of su strate would be advised, where you could either nuke it in the oven in small batches to kill ants, or better (less risk) to completely turf the out substrate, and start fresh.

Once thats done, all decor and shells either need to be boiled, baked or a combination. If they cant be thoroughly washed, throw it out (could harbour ants, or the queen... you're at square one)

A barrier needs to be constructed to stop ants makinv their way back in. How exactly did they get in the first place? If ants are big, flyscreen/mesh lid may be enough to stop them. If they are small, the tank may need to be lined with petroleum jelly (vaseline) the walls and any cords on the way into the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
cghal1

Re: ants in the tank

Post by cghal1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:04 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Ants in the tank can be worrisome, as a colony of ants burrowing can consume defenceless moulters. So yes, trying to get the ants out.

Is the queen inside? If so, the complete removal of su strate would be advised, where you could either nuke it in the oven in small batches to kill ants, or better (less risk) to completely turf the out substrate, and start fresh.

Once thats done, all decor and shells either need to be boiled, baked or a combination. If they cant be thoroughly washed, throw it out (could harbour ants, or the queen... you're at square one)

A barrier needs to be constructed to stop ants makinv their way back in. How exactly did they get in the first place? If ants are big, flyscreen/mesh lid may be enough to stop them. If they are small, the tank may need to be lined with petroleum jelly (vaseline) the walls and any cords on the way into the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
thank you so much i will get around to cleaning the tank. i have a glass tank with a hard plastic lid and there a small gaps as it cannot cover the full top. i believe that is how they get in. as soon as the food bowl is washed out and all the ants in it have died, all the other ones begin to leave and eventually they are all gone. any recommendations on how i can feed the crabs without the ants getting to it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk