New crabs. Mites

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Babybytc88

New crabs. Mites

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:49 am

So I got 38 crabs yesterday. Seem to be all purple pinchers. I knew they were coming with mites. I’m trying to identify them and figure out my best option. They were all in a 20 g terrarium. I split them up between the 20g and 2 10g. Tanks will be temporary. Will be moving to larger tank. ImageImageImageImageImage[/IMG]The crabs are small. The largest being estimated 1 in. The smallest about 1 cm opening. They were transported in a Tupperware with a small amount of substrate. No water and grapes for food. With a coconut hide. Everything that was in the tank prior was boiled or tossed. All the shells and foliage etc that was in the tank had white mites after being boiled in salt water. I have been studying the crabs and they appear to have white mites on some of them as well. They were given a quick saltwater bath as soon as I could. Tried to start as sterile as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Babybytc88

Re: New crabs. Mites

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 am

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:52 am

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:53 am

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:54 am

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Babybytc88 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:49 am
So I got 38 crabs yesterday. Seem to be all purple pinchers. I knew they were coming with mites. I’m trying to identify them and figure out my best option. They were all in a 20 g terrarium. I split them up between the 20g and 2 10g. Tanks will be temporary. Will be moving to larger tank. ImageImageImageImageImage[/IMG]The crabs are small. The largest being estimated 1 in. The smallest about 1 cm opening. They were transported in a Tupperware with a small amount of substrate. No water and grapes for food. With a coconut hide. Everything that was in the tank prior was boiled or tossed. All the shells and foliage etc that was in the tank had white mites after being boiled in salt water. I have been studying the crabs and they appear to have white mites on some of them as well. They were given a quick saltwater bath as soon as I could. Tried to start as sterile as possible.
Warms my heart to know people like you are still here in the world. :)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:36 pm

38 crabs! Wow!

I don't know anything about mites, but HCA does have a care sheetL

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=92530
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:40 pm

First off, kudos to you for the awesome rescue!

I've never dealt with crab mites, but I found some good info on how to get rid of them. It looks like you have your work cut out for you. Hopefully you can get all the crabbies mite free! Good luck!!

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/mites.html

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:43 pm

Yes I have read all the files on mites and even looked into purchasing predatory mites as well. It seems most mites come in white . I’m trying to figure out what I’m dealing with exactly first. My first goal is to let them destress. I don’t want to have to do baths or anything and stress them further as they are already pretty bad. I’m not sure their exact living conditions prior. The stuff they came with food and even salt for water was not correct stuff. I fixed that immediately. Also gave them an abundance of different foods I stuck with dehydrated stuff for the moment while I assess the mite situation. Some have injuries. Everyone seems to be in decent shells. They came with a ton of shells not all usable for the crabs though.

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks guys. I’m thinking my best option would be predatory mites at this point. Since there is so many and already super stressed out.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Babybytc88 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:45 pm
Thanks guys. I’m thinking my best option would be predatory mites at this point. Since there is so many and already super stressed out.

Aw, I hope they pull through! Do you have a picture of all of them just in a big colony clump together? That would be a lot of crabbies! :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

RiNiKy506

New crabs. Mites

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 pm

I don’t know anything about mites either, I’m sorry, wish I could help there. I wish you luck, such sweethearts!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:57 pm

It sounds like these guys are in good hands with you! I wish I knew more, but it sounds like you've got a plan of action going already. Please keep us all updated on how they're doing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:58 pm

Image photos I was sent before transport

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:58 pm