What is that??!!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

What is that??!!

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Ok so I was checking out my crabitat when I saw something which really disturbed me. It looks like a huge worm living in my crabs shell with him, coming out and wriggling around and then sucking back in. OMG I am so freaked I literally feel nauseous.

I took a vid but I'm having a hard time getting it to load so heres a screen grab from the vid. Just imagine that writhing around and you'll have the idea. If necessary I'll figure out how to post the vid.

Please please please please please tell me it's just some sort of crazy inner leg. It looked to me like a worm cleaning the crab to harvest food but I guess it could have just been some sort of weird cleaning appendage??Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ROSIEonFIRE on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SilverHermits

Re: What the BLEEP is that??!!

Post by SilverHermits » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:35 pm

Don't worry, that is just on of the hermit crab's (many) legs, it's not a worm. I believe it's function are, cleaning itself, removing poop, extra pair of legs to hold onto the shell, I heard somewhere they also clean and move eggs if it's a female. Most people call them 'alien legs' which is appropriate :lol:

All crabs have them (I've seen them myself) those legs are creepy and interesting at the same time.
Crabber for over 11 years
16 hermit crabs
13 Purple Pinchers, 2 Straws and a Brevi
Tanks: 100g, 75g, 29g+ a bunch of smaller ones

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:54 pm

😂 Been there, screamed that.

You're in good company! 😉
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Omg thank god lol. Man that thing is freaky. Yes, alien, that's exactly what it looks like haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: What is that??!!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:55 am

Def gave me the willies!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav