How to get rid of fruit flies

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Cal

How to get rid of fruit flies

Post by Cal » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi again! I made a post trying to ID some bugs in the crabitat earlier today, and it turns out that they’re fruit flies, which i’ve never even seen before in real
life, let alone found in the crabitat before a little while ago. Does anyone know how I would go about getting rid of these flies??
I saw that you can set out a glass of wine or beer or fruit juice with vinegar and they will drown, but how would that work? Would you just leave the crabitat lid off for a while and let the flies get into your house and hope they find their way into the drink?
Edit: I heard that if you just don’t feed fruit for a few weeks they should disappear, has anyone had luck doing this before? : o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cal on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to get rid of fruit flies

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 pm

I often get fruit flies in my kitchen in summer. I take a one or two cup jar, fill it about a third of the way with cider vinegar, and add a drop of dish soap. Then put saran wrap over the top, and poke a couple of small holes in it so the flies can get it. I would place it outside the tank, but close to it if you can.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:02 am

curlysister wrote:I often get fruit flies in my kitchen in summer. I take a one or two cup jar, fill it about a third of the way with cider vinegar, and add a drop of dish soap. Then put saran wrap over the top, and poke a couple of small holes in it so the flies can get it. I would place it outside the tank, but close to it if you can.
Oh okay, that’s a good idea! To do that would I leave the tank lid partially open to let the flies out so they could get into the jar?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Yes, I would take fresh fruits out of the tank, and crack a little corner open if you can do so and keep your humidity up.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:50 pm

curlysister wrote:Yes, I would take fresh fruits out of the tank, and crack a little corner open if you can do so and keep your humidity up.
Okay, thank you so much!