Mites?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Mites?

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:44 am

I don't know if this should go in emergency or not. But I adopted a new hermit crab a couple of days ago. When I got her I didn't see any mites, and I definitely would have noticed them. Now recently after emerging from sleeping in the moss pit for a few days I notice these bugs on her. But I have seen mite pictures of hermit crabs and the bugs do not look like that. They were a lot bigger and white. I only saw them twice before they went deeper into the shell. I never saw them since. I checked my other crab and I did not see any. From my 5 years of crabbing I've never had experiences with mites so this may be my first time. Thoughts?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Re: Mites?

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:28 am

Ok :/
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:09 am

Are they clinging to the crab? Like on the joints, antennae, mouth, etc?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks for responding. They are not clinging at all, they run on him as well as inside the shell. They vary in sizes and are all white
Crabbing for 4 years!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:25 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:Thanks for responding. They are not clinging at all, they run on him as well as inside the shell. They vary in sizes and are all white
You're welcome.Image
I'm not great with mite identification, but it sounds like they may be food mites, which are harmless. Food mites are usually white/cream/gray in color according to the HCA mite page. If they were clinging to your crabby's parts, then I'd be more worried.
You can temporarily avoid giving fresh foods to try and keep their numbers down. You can also spot clean the surface, and maybe take out the moss pit, where it's nice and humid and warm (the mites like that). This may help curb their population a bit.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav