Jumbos with Mites

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:08 pm

Yartac wrote: Chitin is part of a crab exo... so it sounds pretty dangerous for them o.o Imagine a crab not being able to form chitin after a molt! >.<
That IGR stuff is interesting. Program looks bad and is toxic to crabs, but there is another one I found, called Nylar that is specific to developing eggs. Again, I'm not advocating, just saying that it's out there and probably never been tested on adult crabs.

You know, honeybees in the US have been nearly wiped out in the last 15 years by tracheal mites. So there's lots of research being done on drugs for mites. They have some compounds that kill the mites, but not the bees. Those kill crabs, though. :roll:

Oh, and I found out that Ivermectin and some other anti-mite drug have been used in fisheries for salmon mites (@#$% mites are everywhere) and now those drugs are in the oceans and killing lobsters and crabs in the wild. :evil: