A Mite? Pic - Is this one?**

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

A Mite? Pic - Is this one?**

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:13 am

Hi All,

I have no clue what a mite looks like...Is this one?

buggy.jpg

Thank you so much!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:34 am

I think it mite be... sorry I couldn't resist. I'm glad I beat Tomtru to it. :)

Vicki mentioned that you found mites on your new straws. It's almost impossible to get a good picture of something so small but the general shape looks like a mite. It actually looks kind of like a tick. I found some mites on an iso'd crab that died once but strangely, it never spread even though that crab was in the main tank until right before it passed. Non have turned up in baths nor have I seen any other signs of them... I was just lucky I guess.

I hope you are successful in getting rid of them. I just got my two discount straws today. It was really hard not to get more. There were four that were really active and social.

BTW, hbd in case I forget to mention it on Tuesday. :)

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:47 am

It could be a mite, but somehow it reminds me more of an aphid or a young bug (a genuine bug).
Here are two mite pictures:
Mite Pic
Mite #2

and here are a few pictures of mites using other incets are taxis (sometmies while feeding on them)
Taxi
click on the links at the bottom of the page to see the other pictures
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:01 am

Robin, here's another insect picture database:

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/current_ipm/otimages.html

That pic looked like your guy had only six legs -- got a magnifying glass?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:25 pm

Thanks all. I don't have a magnifying glass and it was hard to focus on the bug in floating water (I was too much of a wimp to take it out and put it on something darker).

The crabs stayed home while I went to Tahoe and continued their bathing cycle with my girlfriend. I have not seen any more bugs since I got home on Tuesday, but they are still in ISO and will remain there for a couple more weeks. I'm going to buy a big magnifying glass this weekend just in case.

I appreciate everyone looking at my buggy sample and sending photos.

You're all wonderful!

Rob