Strange bugs

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

Strange bugs

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:59 pm

I went to change the water dishes and there were these black worm like bugs swimming in the water. They were around 1/4 of an inch long and some were swimming alone but most were in a clump. Any idea of what they are?????? They were very gross. [smilie=sick.gif] There are no signs of them anywhere else. I can't do a deep clean I have 4 crabs down right now. Any suggestions I need help [smilie=banghead.gif] [smilie=tearhair1.gif]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:30 pm

Do you have a camera? If so please take some pictures and post them. Hopefully, one of our resident bug experts will come along and help you out.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:32 pm

Unfortunatly as soon as I saw them I got rid of them and boiled the bowl.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:38 pm

Well, it's not a bad thing that you got them out of your tank. :) I would too.

There are a lot of people who post here that know about bugs, hopefully you'll get some responses from them in the next few hours.

If they come back and you haven't found out what they are, take some of them and put them in a jar. Take pictures, this will help to identify.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:38 pm

They sound like black worms to me. We feed them to the turtles and stuff like that at the Nature Center I volunteer at. You can get them at petshops and stuff. But I don't know how they got in your water. Tjey do live in water though. They're like a brownish black colour.[/i]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:39 pm

probably the larvae of some flying insect. Mesquitos or small flying insect. We have these black flying bugs, its not a fruit fly,something else. I am finding them in the house, but not the tank. Fast little suckers,alto I am getting better at swatting them!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:41 pm

There were a couple brown ones too. Could tjey have been been in momma's shell? Before she went naked and died she was hanging out in there.

HomieHermie999
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by HomieHermie999 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:26 pm

Syd wrote:They sound like black worms to me. We feed them to the turtles and stuff like that at the Nature Center I volunteer at.
You work with turtles [smilie=love.gif] [smilie=cloud9.gif] ?! I would pay to do that!
I am the proud owner around 30 crabbies consisting of PPs, rugs, Es, Cavs,and indos.
Also the owner of 0.4.0 Eastern Box turtles, 0.0.1 Stinkpot turtle, 3 dogs & several goldfish