Please fill out MITE template!!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
HERMEZ

Please fill out MITE template!!

Post by HERMEZ » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:52 pm

If this is posted in wrong spot just move it.....wondering if you that have had mites would mind filling out this template, - also if you are a multiple infested person and there was a break in the infestation can you post each times. (if it was continous and never really went away please indicate that also) I want to gather info, when its been up for awhile I will post the stats. I hate mites and the nerve they think they have when it comes to our crabbies :wink: and want to see if there is any pattern happening. I know there are tons of threads on the subject itself and I find it overwhelming when doing research. If the results come out good maybe we can sticky it.....

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them

**what kind of top do you have on your tank

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc)

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can

**What time of year did you get the infestation

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc)

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing)

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs)

**do you own other pets, if so what kind

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO TAKES THE TIME TO DO THIS

**Edited to say I added one more question**
Last edited by HERMEZ on Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:23 pm

I think this is a great idea! Good job thinking it up! :D

Re: I MITE want to figure this out

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:28 pm

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs--
I think they were from new ones. I had just got two new ones and saw the mites a few days later.

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them --Play sand

**what kind of top do you have on your tank --Aquarium full hood

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can --They were white-ish/tan, pretty small. That's about all I can tell ya about those suckers.

**What time of year did you get the infestation --Late summer/early fall. September 16th, 2005 to be exact. ;)

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc) --Living room on the coffee table

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing) --No AC but it's usually comfortable in my apartment. Sometimes it gets a little hot, but not too bad. It's usually comfortable in the winter too.

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs) --we get spiders often, but no other bugs.

**do you own other pets, if so what kind --2 dogs, both small, one short hair and the other long. 1 Chihuahua and 1 Yorkie to be exact. :)

I just finished the deep cleaning and baking or boiling of everything last night. I got two new crabs on Tuesday and didn't bathe them before letting them join the main tank. I saw the first mites on Friday afternoon. UGH! I hope they never come back.

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Thank u neverenufff :wink:
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:36 am

long term crabs, around 1 year

playsand, baked and sifted

plastic canvas home-made top, with plastic over that for humidity

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc)
fresh, haven't had commercial since Oct 2004. sea-food meats once a week, fruits and veggies, occasional peanut butter and plain cheerios

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and describe if u can
white tiny mites, so small i thought it was just sand until i saw it moving

spring-summer, 2005

bedroom

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing)
warm year round, 2nd floor apt

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs)
had a few spiders, a few annoying fruit flies for a little while, but nothing major

just recently adopted a betta fish in sept 2005

i noticed them as soon as Indy, my biggest indo, had come out of molt. and i thought it was weird since they weren't on anything else, including his tankmate. bathed him and his tankmate in a double concentration Oceanic salt water (someone here suggested it, can't remember who), but it worked first bath, they were all gone. threw out all the substrate, replaced with new, and moistened the new with Oceanic water. cleaned the tank and all the things in it with vinegar, then with salt water until it didn't smell like vinegar. let the tank sit for 2 days empty, wiped it down again with salt water, then put everything back in. haven't ahd mites again, and haven't had them in any other tank also.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:56 am

Do you want only cases of mites or any bugs? Because I think that about 90% of all bugs found in crabitats are actually insects or non-predatory mites.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:18 am

I really Think this Should Be a Sticky...Kinda Like the Basic and Extended Crab Care Question Sheet...At least until Herm-EZ has enough Data for
Her Research.

Good Luck Herm-EZ :)

Edited: From His to Her! Am So Sorry Herm-EZ...Fixed. LOL :p
Last edited by OIF_VET on Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:27 am

Jedediah wrote:Do you want only cases of mites or any bugs? Because I think that about 90% of all bugs found in crabitats are actually insects or non-predatory mites.
mites only but if you have other bugs in there add that to the bottom. :D Im not partial to disliking bugs (sorry bug lovers) :wink:

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:28 am

OIF_VET wrote:I...At least until Herm-EZ has enough Data for
His Research.
:oops: um Im a woman! LOL :wink:

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:56 am

Oops...OMG I am Sooo Sorry...Gads I hate that...*Chuckles* Oh well...Let me Edit that Post...Sooo Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:
MY "Lil Dudes"

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:54 am

came in on a new tank (20gallon) that I adopted with 4 adoptee crabs and hatched when the temps in the apt got warm; they then also infested my 29 gallon--which has never had bugs in the 2 1/2 years I had hermit crabs in that tank

20 gallon: forest bedding/eco earth
29 gallon: sand bottom level, moss top level

20 gallon: screen lid covered with plastic wrap
29 gallon: glass

20 gallon: were being fed dry Fruit & Flower and thats it
29 gallon: fresh and dry non-commercial foods

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can

White, very small (i dont know what they look like up close I didnt have amagnifying glass)

#1 May 15th
#2 June 29th
#3 August 13th

Bedroom

cool in the winter (70*) /warm in the summer (80*)

nope, I think I have only seen 3 spiders in the apt in the 4 years I have been there)

cat, fiddler crabs
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:59 pm

OIF_VET wrote:Oops...OMG I am Sooo Sorry...Gads I hate that...*Chuckles* Oh well...Let me Edit that Post...Sooo Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:
quite alright I have been called worse!! I just could not let that slip by without bustin on ya!! :wink: :D

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:35 pm

LOL!!!!Thanx :)
MY "Lil Dudes"

Laurie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Laurie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:41 pm

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs The mites I've had in my tank came from newly-adopted crabs or crabs I had purchased at stores.

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them Forest Bedding

**what kind of top do you have on your tank I use glass lids with some coarse screen that replaces the normal plastic strip along the back edge

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc) FMR Food & Treat, freeze-dried brine shrimp, flake fish food, dried coconut from health food store, dried blood worms. I also give them treats like a thawed shrimp or fresh fruit as long as I place it in there in the evening, then remove it before work in the morning.

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can I have seen the white mites and also the dark brown/black ones.

**What time of year did you get the infestation Usually during months of high humidity and temps, mainly June through August.

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc) The dining room

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing) I think the temp stays pretty constant with no central a/c. I do keep heaters on a rheostat and also control the humidity using gauges so it's fairly consistent.

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs) I tend to get spiders sometimes in the summer months, but not much of anything else.

**do you own other pets, if so what kind I have one year-old cat. :)
Laurie
Crabbing Since 2000
Wife to Mark, Mom to Five, Owner of Reggie Cat, Lab Lucy, & numerous Crabs (PPs-Es-Rugies-Indos&Cavs)

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:35 am

thanks keep 'em coming!!
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.