Predatory Mites

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

Predatory Mites

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:26 pm

I had to get some so I thought I'd post the bottle and info

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:01 pm

I'm sorry but something about buying a bottle of bugs gives me the shivers.

Let us know how it comes out!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:18 pm

LOL they are the good bugs though, to get rid of the nasty ones....I didn't see any, they are too small to see..so no worries :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:58 pm

there are over twelve THOUSAND five hundred mites in there? and you are putting all those bugs in your HOUSE????? oh lord, i'd pass out and have to move to a hotel for about 2 weeks....

did you say you could not see any of them vckums? are you sure there were any there and not just an empty bottle????

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:11 pm

I was wondering that too Vick. If they are that small, how do you know you got them all in your tank? Or got anything at all?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:28 pm

Well, I split the order with her, and I've worked with them before, so I knew what to look for. They're in there, all right. They're just really, really small.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:28 pm

I would have hated to be the person to have to count all those suckers...and then putting them into the Bottle!
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:03 am

If you dump some on a white sheet of paper you can see them. I saw them crawling around in my tank. I had some little flies that kept popping up now and then, haven't seen any lately since the mites have established themselves. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:31 am

So, you just put those in and leave them in there indefinitely? A permanent addition of sorts? And, do they just get rid of the mites you have, or do they prevent new ones also?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:12 am

They will keep a resident population until all their prey is dead. The adults can live on detritus and rotting plant material but they can't breed without live prey. So once the pest mites are gone, the Hypos die off.

Lovely solution, isn't it?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:58 pm

why would you need to use predatory mites??? How do you go about making the decision that you need them??? I dont have any such problems yet in my tank but the info would be good to have for future reference

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:08 pm

They are a good way to get rid of mites on your crabs, these mites eat the bad ones.

It's a lot less stressful than bathing them all the time and changing everything.