SOLUTION for Fruit Flys !!!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

SOLUTION for Fruit Flys !!!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:37 pm

I have horrible fruit flys every year and I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them, to no avail !! I got a net called a "no see-um net from a camping supply store (not a Miskito net) I hot glued it around the inside edge of the top of my lid screen. PROBLEM GONE !!! My crabs still get ventilation but no pests ! Wish I knew this earlier for everyone ! Better late than never ! :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:12 pm

is the net treated? if so it could hurt your crabs. if not, that's a GREAT idea!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:38 pm

No ,It's not treated at all. This is the way it works, the holes in it are too small for the bugs to get in . I have had it on my screen top for the whole summer and never had one crab death. It has no smell, it's just netting fabric. :o

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:43 pm

that's a good tip, for anyone who doesn't know what a no-see-um is, it's a small bloodsucking insect that is so small it can fly through regular window screen, their apparently made up of 90% mouth though because when they bite you they leave a big bloody mark and a nice welt, much larger than a mosquito bite. No-see-um netting would be a great thing to have in the summer up at my parents' house, I should suggest they look for some because they can't keep windows open in the evening if any lights are on in the house, the no-see-ums come in and chew you to pieces.