OH GREAT! I think I may have mites!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
hulk

OH GREAT! I think I may have mites!

Post by hulk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:54 pm

I just found some tiny round white bugs in the crab food. I am not sure if they are mites or possibly from the gnats that occasionally go in the tat. I somehow doubt these lil bugs are coming from the gnats though. I see them moving slowly and then under the food are some that do not move but are also white dots. I scooped these out and they are there again. I really hope these are not the dangerous mites. I know I did have the book lice before and this is different! However, I don't see any spider web like areas around the tank like I thought mites do...

anyone know what this could be and how to get rid of them? I have the background wall which is concerning because if they are mites..then how the heck I am going to get them out.
Paige

Topic author
hulk

Post by hulk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:06 pm

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs

yes I have had crabs a long time, but just recently gotten straws shipped to me. Hope that is not where I got them from. I did bathe the new crabs and iso them..but still not a guarantee it didn't come from there.

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them.

EE

**what kind of top do you have on your tank

Wire top, but I have plexi glass under it to keep in humidity; there is a small opening in the middle of the tank.

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc)

I feed Nar's kibbles and things all the time..I also feed fresh fruits and veggies, which I haven't had in there since I seen the bugs.

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can

they are small round white bugs with legs..not sure how many legs. there are some on the surface of the EE that move so slowly it is barely noticeable. There are some under the food bowls that don't seem to move at all. I noticed when I had a grape half in the food bowl they were on that, but again not moving.

**What time of year did you get the infestation

just found them now, it is March.

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc)

Bedroom

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing)

we usually have the heat and air on...so far the windows have been closed. usually around 75 degrees.

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs)

nope not really..sometimes ants...and probably spiders in the basement.

**do you own other pets, if so what kind

a dog, birds, newt, fish.
Paige

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:55 am

generally the ones in the food are not- the bad ones have 8 legs and will be found on the crabs. I am not 100% but I am sure the booklice can come in different tones of color like the bad mites can.

EE is a way to attract the booklice. I know I have had other strange bugs in my tanks from time to time. Can you dip one of your crabs to check and I hope you ISO'd the new ones....... :)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author
hulk

Post by hulk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 pm

I did iso the new ones for about 2 weeks..and I never saw any bugs.
Paige

Xena

Post by Xena » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:13 pm

I did a great thread on this recently when I had my first terrible infestation of these little buggers. Hope it helps you...

viewtopic.php?t=66571&highlight=mites

Topic author
hulk

Post by hulk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 am

thanks xena this was very helpful.

The weird thing is I haven't seen the bugs lately. I haven't given any fresh foods for about a week now....and I guess they moved or found another food source. I keep starring at the EE and my crabs to see if I see movement or any bugs. I am glad they are just the food mites and unharmful to the crabs.
Paige

spidtat

Post by spidtat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Good to hear you don't have as big of an issue as you originally thought. :)
1 Rugs 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner

Witchy-poos

Post by Witchy-poos » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:53 am

I've had food mites in my tank or a long time - they don't bother the Crabbies & they clean up any bits of food left in the 'tat. I'm not worried by them at all, and only really see them if fruit etc if left in too long, other than that they are hidden. I can understand how they might creep some people out, but I figure if they're not causing a problem, what's the problem??!!

:lol:
3 Dogs, 48 Hermies, 2 Finches, 1 Canary and little old me.
7 Jumbos, 11 Large, 11 Medium, 5 Small : All PP's.
3 Micro, 2 Teeny, 2 Medium, 2 Big Medium/Almost Large, 1 Large: Ruggies
1 Micro, 2 Medium:Violas
3 Medium Straws

Topic author
hulk

Post by hulk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:59 pm

thanks all! so far so good. I haven't seen abunch lately...just afew since the last time I wrote in. I have been spot cleaning better around the food dishes and feeding smaller amounts of fresh foods, in hopes that the crabs won't drag it off somewhere lol. I think I got lucky lol.
Paige