Mite Photos! are they dangerous?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

Mite Photos! are they dangerous?

Post by Guest » Sat May 09, 2009 5:47 pm

So originally I read that clear/beige mites with 6 legs are harmless, and might actually be beneficial to the crabitat as they keep down mold/mildew. I was never concerned because I hadn't seen mites on my crab or his shell.

Recently I have seen the mite population grow (significantly) and I do see mites on my crab's shell. This concerns me.. so i took the liberty of snapping a couple photos to ask you guys what you think...

and here they are...

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sun May 10, 2009 2:05 am

Mites always have eight legs since they are arachnids.
Since the antenna have only four segments, they are not booklice and I'm guessing they are some kind of springtail, probably elongated body-springtaisl, Entomobryomorpha, from the shape of their body. That would make them harmless and good crabitat cleaners. They are probably foraging for food on the crabs and the shells.
Your photos are very good and I would recommend sending them to www.whatsthatbug.com to confirm my identification (and maybe they'll publish it). I would like to use it in my crabitat bug guide, if you don't mind.

Actually, springtails are no longer considered insects, they are Entognatha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entognatha
but eight legs=arachnid and six legs=insect is still close enough :wink:
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 10, 2009 8:18 am

Feel free to use the photos, or, since the attached are cropped / resized rather crudely, if you send me your email (pm) I can forward you the original size photos.