Tiny, thin worm bugs? Edit: Aluminum foil?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

Tiny, thin worm bugs? Edit: Aluminum foil?

Post by Guest » Mon May 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Edit: I have a question concerning the baking of sand. Would it be safe to use aluminum foil as a lining on the bottom of the cookie sheet I place the sand on? I think I've seen people mention doing this but I was wondering if the aluminum would somehow get into the sand and be harmful to the crabs. If it is indeed harmful, what could I use to line the cookie sheet with?

The other day when I was looking in my crabs tank at the water I noticed there were springtails in it so I took it out to dump it outside. But I also noticed something else at the very bottom of the water bowl. It was a very thin, small worm, about the width of a strand of hair. o.o After I found it, I looked it up online and the only thing I found that matches the look is a detritus worm. I'm not sure if that's exactly what it is or not. I noticed one or two on the side of the tank as well and I just want to know if anyone knows anything about these worms. Do you get them in your tank? And should I be concerned?
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 12, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

My pet aquatic snails get those in their water all the time. Or maybe it's because they are wild-captured. I do not know if it is dangerous to hermit crabs. It is not horrible for people because once one of those worms made its way inside my fingernail while I cleaned the snail tank. So i looked it up online it says "If snails don't have those worms it is bad.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue May 12, 2009 12:28 am

Hm. Well, these bugs are really grossing me out... I can't imagine having one of them INSIDE your nails. O.O *shudders*

I'm thinking it's time I did a deep clean. I haven't done one yet since I---or rather, my sister---got the crabs and that was somewhere in August last year. I'll have to go out and get more sand. No way am I keeping the sand that's in the tank. >> Too much of a hassle having to scoop it all out and worry about dumping bugs all over the house...