Necessity of Leaves?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Necessity of Leaves?

Post by AutumnFalls » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi guys. I unexpectedly got some new isopods. A person I'd talked to about a year ago was in town with some orange isopods. I kept them in smaller enclosure to give them more time to breed before transferring them into the hermit crab tank.They're in my main tank and seem to be doing well. But, I don't have any leaves in the tank. It's the middle of winter here and I can't gather any from my yard (they're insecticide etc free). Do they need leaves to eat if they have substrate, cholla wood, calcium, and leftover crab food? If so, I'll try to find some to buy.

Motörcrab

Re: Necessity of Leaves?

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Leaf litter is great for Isopods and hermit crabs. Oak, Maple, Birch, Cattapa, Sea Grape and Burning Bush are all favorites in our tanks. We add a leaf or two every few days and they always get picked at.

If you click on the link in my profile there are a lot of crab food vendors that sell them. I know The Crabstreet Marketplace had Burning Bush in stock. We purchased some right before Christmas. Becauseofcrabs on Etsy also has an assortment for sale too.

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Re: Necessity of Leaves?

Post by AutumnFalls » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately, since I'm in Canada, it's hard to order crab stuff online, especially if it's organic. Shipping is often super expensive and it's hard to ship organic material across the border. :( I'll still check the links out and look locally for leaf litter.