Super-old isopod

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Crabnado

Super-old isopod

Post by Crabnado » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm

3 years ago I found a small roly poly isopod in the back yard. I'd read they could be good for the tank and so I dropped it in with the crabs.

When we moved the crabs from 20 gallons to 30 I happened to uproot the isopod and made sure he got transferred over. I didn't see him when the crabs moved to their 60 gallon tank so I assumed he'd passed away.

Surprise!

Today I saw him hanging out and boy has he grown! He's definitely thriving. I'd been thinking about getting some more to put in there but now I'm not sure. Will he welcome company? Or despise the competition for resources? Hmm....

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Super-old isopod

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:00 pm

That's cool!! He looks healthy for sure!! :) Great picture!! :) I love having isopods!! One can never have enough in my opinion! Hopefully he/she will breed when/if you get more :wink:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm

Isopods are probably going to dig the company of other isopods.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Wow! He's a cutie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Well, I hate to burst your bubble but it is very likely that your original isopod DID breed and that this is one of the offspring.

2 years I think is about average. I won't say for sure that it's not, though!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:24 am

soilentgringa wrote:Well, I hate to burst your bubble but it is very likely that your original isopod DID breed and that this is one of the offspring.

2 years I think is about average. I won't say for sure that it's not, though!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
For the main species native to California I know average is 3 years. So still quite possible it's the same guy- especially if he is that bigImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:07 am

Sorry for bringing up this thread, but the picture isn’t working and I’d like to see it
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!