New isopod setup

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Hermiearth

New isopod setup

Post by Hermiearth » Sun May 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Just set up my old anoles tank to house 40 or so isopods I captured in my yard, they seem to love the eco earth, as soon as I put them in most of them dug right down and come out at night. When will they start breeding so I can transfer over into tanks?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New isopod setup

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Nice! You don't have to have a light for them :) I would put press n seal over the lid of the mesh top also - but that's if it were me ;) They need the humidity to breathe just like the hermits.

Edit: Maybe a few months you will be able to transfer over. They love the cork bark and cholla in my crabitats. I bought new cork bark for one of my tats and was going to break down a piece and it was LOADED with isopods.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Nice! You don't have to have a light for them :) I would put press n seal over the lid of the mesh top also - but that's if it were me ;) They need the humidity to breathe just like the hermits.
Light is just for viewing purposesImage I am keeping it at roughly the same humidity as outside, I read that the more exotic species need the high humidity.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Gotcha ;) They don't have to have high humidity, but they like it. :) When i had mine set up, I didn't have a light and I got to see them all of the time. I think you might see them more if you don't use the light ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sun May 14, 2017 4:41 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Gotcha ;) They don't have to have high humidity, but they like it. :) When i had mine set up, I didn't have a light and I got to see them all of the time. I think you might see them more if you don't use the light ;)
Oh gotcha. I will take the light off than.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Looking good! I have our isopods in a small storage bin for now until I can get my 55g back up and running. I have kept the sub moist. Do they need any heat as well or would room temp be good enough?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:12 pm

Soilentgringa has said they do fine at room temperature. I will tell you that today I had a piece of cork bark in my tank fall and I went to fix it in one of my crabitats and when I moved it there were hundreds of powder blue isopods. They seem to be thriving in 85 degree weather....