Roly-Poly Bugs Love Some Cuttle Bone, Huh?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:50 am

It has been a regular thing for me and my toddlers to catch roly-poly bugs out of the yard and then put them in the crab tank as an extra food source for the crabs.

The crabs seem to love the roly-poly bugs. I have seen at least two (possibly three crabs, because they look alike), chowing down on the roly-poly bugs several times now.

The roly-poly bugs took about two weeks to discover the piece of cuttlebone that stays in the crab tank. Once these little critters migrated over to the cuttlebone, they never left! The piece of cuttlebone stays so covered up in roly-poly bugs that you can hardly see it. And they are devouring it so much faster than the crabs ever did.

It's kind of funny because the one crab, who loves to eat the roly-poly bugs more than all the others, now knows exactly where to find them. LOL. Anytime he feels like hunting, all he has to do is come over to the cuttlebone. The little roly-poly bugs don't even run away. That must be some good cuddle bone. I hypothesize that the roly-poly bugs are so entranced with the delicious cuttlebone that they don't realize they are being hunted.

So I guess the calcium and other minerals from the cuttlebone are still getting into the crabs tummies. I mean, if the roly-poly bugs eat the cuttlebone, and then the crabs eat the roly-poly bugs, then it stands to reason that the minerals in the cuttlebone would then be transferred to the crabs right?

Hey at least the crabs have easy hunting now. LOL.
Looking to Re-Home my 8 crabs (55 gal & 10 gal)
Please read my adoption post:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=115198
Our Family Motto For 2017:
Cultivate Happiness and Give Thanks Daily

CrabMater

Re: Roly-Poly Bugs Love Some Cuttle Bone, Huh?

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:22 am

Fascinating.
I was thinking about doing the same thing. But A) im freaked out about finding stray rollie pollie bugs in my couch. B) sad for RP bug

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:22 am

The isopods need calcium because they shed their exoskeleton just like crabs do. I imagine it's hard for them to find good frequent sources out in the wild. They are probably loading up because they aren't used to having it available like that. My isopods love all of the calcium sources in my tank as well. My crabs tend to hunt them down on the cork bark. They can't catch them anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:24 am

CrabMater wrote:Fascinating.
I was thinking about doing the same thing. But A) im freaked out about finding stray rollie pollie bugs in my couch. B) sad for RP bug

Isopods have modified gills like the crabs. They need humidity to survive. That's why you usually find them under leaf litter outside where it is moist. Rest easy Image

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:31 am

GotButterflies wrote:
CrabMater wrote:Fascinating.

Isopods have modified gills like the crabs. They need humidity to survive. That's why you usually find them under leaf litter outside where it is moist. Rest easy Image

Eek, i know in my brain you're right GB. And as i was changing the food in the 10 gal i found a pile of crab poop. Ack. I know i need them. I just HATE bugs i don't want to be repulsed by my tat

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:00 am

They are cute bugs (imo anyways )

Topic author
CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 am

Ive always thought roly-poly bugs were cute, but, i must admit, they did creep me out a bit when I first put them in the tank. My husband kept getting on me telling me I was putting too many. Everytime me and the kids go out to get some we put about 10 to 50 in there each time. The crabs have since caught up with eating them, or I guess they're hiding behind and under stuff. But after the first few days of doing that I looked in the tank and they were everywhere! That image was a little bit creepy but it was just in the interim. Since then the only place I have found them has been on the cuttlebone and a few here and there. Definitely not so creepy as that first week of putting them in there.
Looking to Re-Home my 8 crabs (55 gal & 10 gal)
Please read my adoption post:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=115198
Our Family Motto For 2017:
Cultivate Happiness and Give Thanks Daily

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:34 am

That is so funny! Did you order them or pick them out of your yard?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:27 am

C_fiesta wrote:That is so funny! Did you order them or pick them out of your yard?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
She caught hers. Image

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:52 am

Can i ask- if the garden where i have isopds is treated with weed killer, these guys are tainted and should not be used, correct?

MORE SUBSTRATE!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:11 am

CrabMater wrote:Can i ask- if the garden where i have isopds is treated with weed killer, these guys are tainted and should not be used, correct?

An option would be to put them in their own enclosure and breed them out several generations before adding them in with the crabs. It's a pretty good idea to do that under normal circumstances since you can't always know what your neighbors are using.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:47 am

wodesorel wrote:
CrabMater wrote:Can i ask- if the garden where i have isopds is treated with weed killer, these guys are tainted and should not be used, correct?

An option would be to put them in their own enclosure and breed them out several generations before adding them in with the crabs. It's a pretty good idea to do that under normal circumstances since you can't always know what your neighbors are using.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hi W, thought of that. That's tank #4 . Full of bugs. My husband already is getting on the end of his nerves w my crabbin.

In other news, RH is starting to hold at 79. I think they like anywhere between 78-90 so im feeling ok. Humidity is low here which is odd for June in NYC.
My gauge needs a recalibration and possible replacement.
Temps are cool here. Ultratherm fired up! It was a bit bent in one spot. I worried but it heated up first time right out of the box. I put some foamcore behind it . It's 28.8C/83.8F on the cool side of the tat.

My comfort spinner is WAY too big and fell right off SAME NIGHT (HI GB) Might not need it anyway. I purposely bought a screened lid to alllow them a 2nd platform. And yes, they LOVE to walk upside down. And sleep upside down. I thought Dean needed to be rescued. But as soon as i came for him he detatched and moved. I need to stop thinking w my monkey brain. Crabs are weird. Ill put the spinner away for when i buy the tank thats the size of my couch . Next year. Right honey? Honey?

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 am

Awe, please don't put your wheel away! Just hang it using a command hook and or string reinforced with duct tape. I'll take a picture of mine.
ImageImage