Question about Isopods and Salinity

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
jclee

Question about Isopods and Salinity

Post by jclee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi all! I'm about to upgrade my crabs from a 50 to a 120 gallon, and I am changing the setup around a bit. At present, they're in a false-bottom tank with a waterfall (a modified version of what you might set up for a dart frog), and their isopod/springtail colony has been thriving. With this, larger tank, I've decided to forego the false bottom and set up something more typical to what most people do.

I've read that it helps to moisten the substrate with dechlorinated salt water to prevent molding, but I am worried that the salinity in the substrate might make my isopod colonies crash. Any input?
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

soilentgringa

Re: Question about Isopods and Salinity

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 am

jclee wrote:Hi all! I'm about to upgrade my crabs from a 50 to a 120 gallon, and I am changing the setup around a bit. At present, they're in a false-bottom tank with a waterfall (a modified version of what you might set up for a dart frog), and their isopod/springtail colony has been thriving. With this, larger tank, I've decided to forego the false bottom and set up something more typical to what most people do.

I've read that it helps to moisten the substrate with dechlorinated salt water to prevent molding, but I am worried that the salinity in the substrate might make my isopod colonies crash. Any input?
Have had isopods for 3 years; they seem to be fine. The salinity is pretty diluted after mixing the water with substrate.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:40 am

I agree- my Isopods thrive in all 3 of my crabitats and I mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

cap7

Post by cap7 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am

No problems at all with my isopods, they are thriving in the crabitat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks for the input, all! :D
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/