Isopods from our garden

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Sylah

Isopods from our garden

Post by Sylah » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:50 pm

How safe is it really to put isopods I found in our garden into the crabitat???

They seem really healthy...

What is the concern?

Thanks!
Last edited by Sylah on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Isopods from our garden

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Pesticides & fertilizers - they need to be kept in a tote or aquarium and bred for several generations to be considered safe. I go with the three month rule...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Pesticides & fertilizers - they need to be kept in a tote or aquarium and bred for several generations to be considered safe. I go with the three month rule...

Thanks, GotButterflies!

I bought some online and it’s been a month and a half, I’m waiting for them to breed (tapping fingers impatiently).

This morning I caught A LOT of them in my garden... We don’t used pesticides but we do use organic fertilizers...

I will put them in a box to quarantine for a few months and hopefully they’ll make babies, too!

Thanks!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 am

Sylah wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Pesticides & fertilizers - they need to be kept in a tote or aquarium and bred for several generations to be considered safe. I go with the three month rule...

Thanks, GotButterflies!

I bought some online and it’s been a month and a half, I’m waiting for them to breed (tapping fingers impatiently).

This morning I caught A LOT of them in my garden... We don’t used pesticides but we do use organic fertilizers...

I will put them in a box to quarantine for a few months and hopefully they’ll make babies, too!

Thanks!
Yw! If conditions are right, they will breed like crazy!! I personally found putting them in a storage tote worked best! Mine ended up breeding in a couple of my crabitats, so I did an overhaul of my tanks to get them out!!! I set up a 40 Gallon tote with ee, organic oak leaves, cork bark, organic oak sticks, and they are still mass producing! I also give the oystershell and eggshell for calcium. I feed them whatever I feed my crabs for the day also. :) organic fertilizers are okay btw- if they are certified organic! :)

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Awesome, thanks so much!!!