How many isopods is enough?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
platypuskid2

How many isopods is enough?

Post by platypuskid2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:41 pm

My friend and I have noticed that our isopods don't seem to being doing much "clean-up crew"-ing. She asked me if it was because we only got 40 each but I'm not sure how many is enough. She has a forty gallon and I have a seventy five gallon and both of ours have 40 isopods (give or take a few since we've had them a month or so) is that enough? Too much? Not enough?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Re: How many isopods is enough?

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 pm

I put probably about 30 Iso pods in my tank that I got from my backyard. I saw no sign of them for probably 2-3 months and than all of a sudden there where tons of baby isopods in the sand. So I would give it some more time and hopefully they will start to breed and raise the numbers themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Agree with above. Allow the population to establish. However, I will mention that isopods do not substitute for cleaning, they just help clean up anything you happen to miss.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Are you saying that because you don't see them? I have noticed for the most part that mine scatter when the lights come on.
I would recommend giving them time to establish in your tank. Practically once a week I am taking cholla out of my tank and knocking it into a 46 gallon tote because mine overpopulate in a couple of my tanks. Be patient. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com