Churning sub and isopods

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
NLindsey921

Churning sub and isopods

Post by NLindsey921 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Will churning sub kill my isopod population. I have drawfs and I know they don't normally bury down very far. However I need to churn the sub it's dryer on top and looks like it might be too wet at the bottom. I believe all my crabs are top side. But will this kill my isopods or will they be fine?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Churning sub and isopods

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 am

I've been puzzling the same thing... I assume survival depends on how deep a given individual ends up (?).

I settled on using potato traps for two days before a planned churn, catching and temporarily removing as many as I can, to be safe. But I don't really know... and if everyone is up, you might not want to wait. :dunno: :penny::
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 am

I went ahead and did it anyway. What I did was I know a whole lot live right under the food bowl so I grabbed a large handful of the substrate and moved it to a different container. That saved a bunch. I did this twice. I set that container to the side and removed all crabs and decorations. Then I churned up the sub. I replaced everything and dumped the container with the isopods in it back in the tank. Then I put the crabs back in. I will check in a couple days to see how bad the population dropped. I'm expecting most of the deaths to be babies.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 am

Since its been churned, I imagine that the majority should survive since the substrate has not compressed yet - aka complete lack of airflow. You may have some deaths, but from my experiences most should make it that ypu will barely see a population drop - and since you have dwarfs, I'd imagine that most would make it unlike larger species available.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:33 pm

In the future, you could always put a piece of bark in before you churn the sub and they will flock to that :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Mine seem to have a few favorite spots - coco wall, cholla , cork rounds and under our big rock and oyster shells. I recently took everything out of the tank, turned the sub and replaced everything and I am still seeing plenty of isopods so not much harm done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 pm

The isopods appear to be fine. There is at least 25 adults under the food bowl alone.