Isopod Control

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Isopod Control

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:33 pm

I’ve been doing research on breeding isopods for hermit crabs, and I have to say I’m interested.

However, I’ve also heard a lot of stories about isopods overpopulating their crabitats.

Are there any ways to keep them in check, or patterns in tank maintenance that can promote heavy breeding? The only way I can think of to keep them under control is to make sure all isopods are the same sex, but that sounds incredibly tedious.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Isopod Control

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:50 pm

I would recommend breeding them in a tote or separate aquarium and only put small amounts in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:27 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I would recommend breeding them in a tote or separate aquarium and only put small amounts in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what I was thinking. My crabs live in a 55-gallon tank, but my fear is that I’ll put in ten isopods, get lazy with inspections, and find they number in the hundreds three months later.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:35 pm

I would recommend what GotButterflies advised :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!