ISO Tiny Janitors :)

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Rawrgeous

ISO Tiny Janitors :)

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:11 pm

So where are people buying their isopods here lately? Isopod connection was my go to, but she doesn't seem to have any in stock. :( I just didn't have luck with the Zebras last year, partially I think because I thought I would breed them out. Then, I only got a one gallon tote to put them in, thinking it would only be temporary and would suffice just to get them going. Well, I think the uth I had on it as overheating the coconut noir I had them on and wasn't moist enough, but needless to say they never did seem to breed, and eventually just all slowly died out. It was quite sad honestly. Looking back, a bean farm heating mat taped to the lid was probably WAY overkill for that small of an enclosure. But I digress. I'm looking for a clean up crew. The crab poops seem to be taking over now that I don't have as much time to get up in there and move stuff around like I used to due to school and working all the time. Plus, for the first time ever I definitely have major food mites these last couple months. I know it's completely norm and all, and they are harmless- but geesh they give me the creeps. I also worry because it never fails that I seem to get a gross gnat infestation in there this time of year. -.- The sub is Not yet, knock on wood. fine, but hasn't been stirred since the last flood I had; a year or so has passed and I know by now there has to be all kinds of yuck hidden in that sand. Also, are there any species that are ideal but won't completely take over? I almost want to look into a species that likes to burrow a bit in hopes they will get some of the food I know those naughty crabbies are stashing. Even if nobody knows specifics on isopod types, good recommendations of shops are still appreciated. :3
Edit: Local sourcing is not an option, I live in a highly agricultural area, in fact right across the street from a cornfield where several pesticides are used frequently. Not something I'm willing to put in my crab tank. :)

soilentgringa

Re: ISO Tiny Janitors :)

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Welcome back!

I've always had the best success with the isopods I get for free outside.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Also I just caught your edit. Do you have any friends who live in a more pesticide free zone?

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Thank you! Glad to be back upon some people that understand my love for my lil crustacean friends. :) But I hadn't even considered that? I don't know why the thought hadn't occurred to me. It's probably a good thing that my friends know I'm a bit crazy anyways so when I ask to deposit my potatoes in their yard for a few evenings it shouldn't be a big deal right? :lol: :lol:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:09 pm

If you'd like some, let me know. I live up against wetlands so no spraying is permitted. It's been pillbug city in the backyard this year! I still have to clean out my coral bells bed and that one has the highest concentrations every year. Not all sure what species we have, but I know it's at least three.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 pm

They are relatively easy to find if you collect them from a pesticide-free area.
If you really need some, just let anyone one of us know! I have thousands and am willing to ship some out :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Random fact; if you pick out isopod from outside, stay away from the blue ones. They have a disease which can take out your whole isopod colony
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:58 pm

wodesorel wrote:If you'd like some, let me know. I live up against wetlands so no spraying is permitted. It's been pillbug city in the backyard this year! I still have to clean out my coral bells bed and that one has the highest concentrations every year. Not all sure what species we have, but I know it's at least three.
Send me the isopoddddds lol.

But seriously. I owe you some dishes anyway. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:56 pm

I can send you both some. Just pay for the priority shipping. (So they don't die in the mail). I have TONS. I've been selling them on Craigslist locally, but I sent StellaCrab and several others here on the HCA some. I love helping the crabbing community. I have powder blues, shiny, and a couple of other kinds. Downside is I have them all together! I have a huge tote that I dump the excess from my crab tanks into. Just PM me. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:42 am

Oh my goodness! Thank you guys. That makes it even easier because my friend totally just weed n fed their yard :( Boo. I know too many people that like nice lawns. Boo. I'm all for meadows not lawns lol. Seriously happy I didn't spend 30 bucks on the last website I saw for just 30. I was seriously about to go to a random park garden shovel in hand. I told my fiance I just needed a 5-year-old and there would suddenly be millions available because I remember finding them everywhere as a kid. Also, awesomehermit, neat fact. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 am

I also used to find them everywhere as a kid! The true ones that rolled up into a ball! My son and I actually found some of those on the beach the last time we went there. They were in the dunes. :) We weren't in the dunes - we were by them.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com