Quick Isopod Question

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Quick Isopod Question

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Would they die of saltwater? I soaked some Spanish Moss and some Spaghnum Moss with saltwater then squeezed it out. I need an answer quickly because I am doing it right now.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

piratetoothgir

Re: Quick Isopod Question

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:33 pm

I think they would directly, but if you squeezed it out, it should be good to go.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 pm

No. They go in my saltwater pool and drink a lot! Occasionally they fall in, but they make it to a piece of coral I have in there for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 pm

GotButterflies wrote:No. They go in my saltwater pool and drink a lot! Occasionally they fall in, but they make it to a piece of coral I have in there for them.

Are using native Floridian species? I have heard that for some species saltwater is insta-death. Wonder if there is a difference between those that encounter salinity in the wild and those that don't.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Quick Isopod Question

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm

I’m not sure. Ive never researched them. Mine are not wild caught. All of of mine were initially purchased from Isopod Connection. I have Powder Blues, Skirted, Shiny, and another kind. They look like tortis. They look like my oranges bred with one of the other kind. Edit: I don’t have orange ones anymore). I will say the Dalmatians don’t seem to make it in the msw.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 am

wodesorel wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:No. They go in my saltwater pool and drink a lot! Occasionally they fall in, but they make it to a piece of coral I have in there for them.

Are using native Floridian species? I have heard that for some species saltwater is insta-death. Wonder if there is a difference between those that encounter salinity in the wild and those that don't.
I'm in NJ and the isopods did explore as I put them in
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Can I spray the tank to keep it humid?
Crabbing for 4 years!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 am

You can spray with freshwater if that's what you mean. We don't recommend misting with sw because the salinity in the tank can build over time. Isopods like a humid environment, so as long as you aren't misting like crazy I don't see it as an issue.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 am

Oh, that's really cool GB!
I wouldn't really know, mine never go near the water, they stay under the wood.
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 am

StellaCrab wrote:Oh, that's really cool GB!
I wouldn't really know, mine never go near the water, they stay under the wood.
I have craft mesh leading to my fw and msw pools. I find them in both of the pools. I always provide them an escape route incase they fall in, but they don't seem to understand that. I always have to rescue them. My tank has 99% humidity when I don't open it - but they still go to the water. Perhaps yours do too at night. Idk...

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:39 pm

GotButterflies wrote: I have craft mesh leading to my fw and msw pools. I find them in both of the pools. I always provide them an escape route incase they fall in, but they don't seem to understand that. I always have to rescue them. My tank has 99% humidity when I don't open it - but they still go to the water. Perhaps yours do too at night. Idk...
Yeah, I have really high humidity too, and they really are breeding!
Crabber Since 2016