Isopods

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Isopods

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 am

So, i recently read a thread about isopods, someone was looking for some to add to her tank. I looked them up and found what i called Roly Poly's growing up. I wanted to add some to my 75 when i get it set up, but my boyfriend pointed out springtails. Which do yall use? This would be a great clean up crew for a 75, since i'll be adding about 4 or 5 crabs to it. What do yall recommend? I'm currently online at isopodconnection looking at their items. Is there a care/guide sheet anywhere on isopods that i missed?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

hermiwormi

Re: Isopods

Post by hermiwormi » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:26 am

ciaraalston wrote:So, i recently read a thread about isopods, someone was looking for some to add to her tank. I looked them up and found what i called Roly Poly's growing up. I wanted to add some to my 75 when i get it set up, but my boyfriend pointed out springtails. Which do yall use? This would be a great clean up crew for a 75, since i'll be adding about 4 or 5 crabs to it. What do yall recommend? I'm currently online at isopodconnection looking at their items. Is there a care/guide sheet anywhere on isopods that i missed?
Ahh, wait I thought springtails were hexapods? Maybe I've been taught wrong, or maybe there isn't a huge difference between hexapods and isopods? Image

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:28 am

Yes! Google says springtails are hexapods!
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:54 am

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92538 This is a guide that is pretty helpful. :)
Isopods and springtails are different. Many isopod keepers keep springtails in with their isopods though. It is not uncommon for springtails to be kept in vivariums though as a clean-up crew. Occasionally, people get springtails without buying them too! :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:18 am

I personally just use springtails. They have colonized all of my moist enclosures and do an awesome job of preventing mold and breaking down waste.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 am

I have springtails in my Pacman frog enclosure - and they are great. I have isopods in my hermit crab tanks and my tortoise enclosure. The pacman eats the isopods I put in there. :P I put this on the other message you had - but if you would like isopods - I have PLENTY - all you have to do is pay for priority shipping. Just PM me. This applies to anyone here on the HCA. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 am

I want to also put in tiny janitors, but what about the disease that the isopods can spread to crabs? Is this true? If it is true, how common is it for a crab to get sick or die from isopods?

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:49 am

hermiwormi wrote:I want to also put in tiny janitors, but what about the disease that the isopods can spread to crabs? Is this true? If it is true, how common is it for a crab to get sick or die from isopods?

I’ve never heard about a disease that spreads from isopods to crabs, and it would be safe unlesss the isopods are blue or they were from places with pesticides
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:37 pm

hermiwormi wrote:I want to also put in tiny janitors, but what about the disease that the isopods can spread to crabs? Is this true? If it is true, how common is it for a crab to get sick or die from isopods?

I'm pretty sure its a disease isopods can give other isopods, not the crabs. :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Iridovirus may jump species and both isopods and hermits are crustaceans, so caution is never a bad idea. The infected isopods will be bright iridescent blue.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Has anyone ever had trouble with them overtaking the tank?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Yes- mine have taken over the tanks before. I had to take a shop vac to my tanks for three days, and then I think I repeated it a few months ago. It was insane. They are finally back in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:41 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Yes- mine have taken over the tanks before. I had to take a shop vac to my tanks for three days, and then I think I repeated it a few months ago. It was insane. They are finally back in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you get them back in check?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes, how did you get them stabilized? I'm so worried about them taking over the tank and I can't control them. I don't have a shop vac lol

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:27 am

wodesorel wrote:Iridovirus may jump species and both isopods and hermits are crustaceans, so caution is never a bad idea. The infected isopods will be bright iridescent blue.
I don't know why I didn't consider that, but that actually does make a lot of sense.