Isopod Enclosure

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Isopod Enclosure

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Hello, so I thought you might want to see my isopod enclosure. Here’s a great selection of pictures to look at!
I am currently growing out some wild ones until they breed a few times to prevent any pesticides from getting to my actual crabitat.

The whole enclosure is a 26 gallon clear Sterlite container tote, and it’s perfect for the thousands I will have eventually. I am going out early tomorrow to collect a bunch more :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

AwesomeHermit

Re: Isopod Enclosure

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 pm

I like it! You might want to have some food for them
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:25 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:I like it! You might want to have some food for them
They are being offered food in a scallop shell :)
I also give them water.
Crabber Since 2016

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:33 pm

This brings me back to a few days ago when I put so much effort finding isopods. I had them in a little cup. I had found seven, and while I was setting up their tank, the cup blew away :( I only found 2. So now I never see any isopods in my tank.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:13 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:This brings me back to a few days ago when I put so much effort finding isopods. I had them in a little cup. I had found seven, and while I was setting up their tank, the cup blew away :( I only found 2. So now I never see any isopods in my tank.
Aw, bummer! If you get out there really early like I did, you can find lots!
I managed to find roughly 50 of them.
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 am

The plastic plants aren’t necessary. Also- are you providing them with a calcium source? Cuttlebone, eggshell, oystershell. They shed their exo just like hermits. Water is not necessary for them. If you mist their tank, (dechlorinated fw) and provide them with carrots they will get the moisture they need from that. Keep the lid on. You need a lot of leaf litter for them too.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:15 am

GotButterflies wrote:The plastic plants aren’t necessary. Also- are you providing them with a calcium source? Cuttlebone, eggshell, oystershell. They shed their exo just like hermits. Water is not necessary for them. If you mist their tank, (dechlorinated fw) and provide them with carrots they will get the moisture they need from that. Keep the lid on. You need a lot of leaf litter for them too.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I just bought them fresh cuttlebone and I am going to use some eggshells :)
I only mist their tank, and I do feed them carrots, there's some pieces around there somewhere.
Crabber Since 2016

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Well, it is a good thing that one of the three has babies
Crabbing for 4 years!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 am

Nice! looks good! are you planning on selling or just breeding for your tanks?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:24 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Nice! looks good! are you planning on selling or just breeding for your tanks?
When I have a lot more, I will send them out to people :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Nice! looks good! are you planning on selling or just breeding for your tanks?
I sent Stella crab their isopods.

Anyone on the HCA that would like isopods can have some. I have an overabundance of them. :)
All you have to do is pay for priority shipping. I will only ship priority so that they will arrive alive. :) This costs approx $7.60 Just PM me if you are interested. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:34 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
I sent Stella crab their isopods.

Anyone on the HCA that would like isopods can have some. I have an overabundance of them. :)
All you have to do is pay for priority shipping. I will only ship priority so that they will arrive alive. :) This costs approx $7.60 Just PM me if you are interested. :)
That is so awesome GB!!!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I made some changes, and split the tote into two sections.
I also added a small heater to give them a bit of warmth, which has boosted humidity.

Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Honestly Stella...I think you are putting too much thought into it. The first time I tried to breed these guys...I did the EXACT same thing as you. I'm not kidding. I used to spray the tank for them...feed them daily, and yes, I had a heater for the tote as well. Now, they live in a large tote that is 50-60 gallons. It has eco earth in the bottom of it. filled with cork bark, oak twigs, oak leaves, cuttle bone, egg shells, coarse oyster shell. I open it once a week to feed them organic carrots, oatmeal and apples, The heat from those things breaking down or getting eaten is plenty - seriously - I feel heat hit my face when I open it. The tote just already has moisture from being closed. They are multiplying like crazy in there...so I'm doing something right.

Edit: I do also throw moss in there.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:51 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Honestly Stella...I think you are putting too much thought into it. The first time I tried to breed these guys...I did the EXACT same thing as you. I'm not kidding. I used to spray the tank for them...feed them daily, and yes, I had a heater for the tote as well. Now, they live in a large tote that is 50-60 gallons. It has eco earth in the bottom of it. filled with cork bark, oak twigs, oak leaves, cuttle bone, egg shells, coarse oyster shell. I open it once a week to feed them organic carrots, oatmeal and apples, The heat from those things breaking down or getting eaten is plenty - seriously - I feel heat hit my face when I open it. The tote just already has moisture from being closed. They are multiplying like crazy in there...so I'm doing something right.

Edit: I do also throw moss in there.
Pictures of your isopod tote?
I think I am overthinking it, but I only made it nice so I can maneuver through to get some out when I need them.

Crabber Since 2016