Isopod

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
SlurExe97

Isopod

Post by SlurExe97 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:08 pm

About a month ago I caught isopods from my backyard (and one that somehow made it indoors by itself?), because I thought it would be interesting to be able to observe them for a while. Today I noticed this... Never thought they would breed this quickly, especially since I didn't have soil setup - a small plastic box on my desk (mom doesn't want pets in the house), lined with tissue paper to retain humidity, covered with leaf litter and vegetable scraps. I will be releasing them all (5 in total), since it would be bad to let them reproduce here.

Edit: By the way, what happened to the orange site layout?

soilentgringa

Re: Isopod

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 am

SlurExe97 wrote:About a month ago I caught isopods from my backyard (and one that somehow made it indoors by itself?), because I thought it would be interesting to be able to observe them for a while. Today I noticed this... Never thought they would breed this quickly, especially since I didn't have soil setup - a small plastic box on my desk (mom doesn't want pets in the house), lined with tissue paper to retain humidity, covered with leaf litter and vegetable scraps. I will be releasing them all (5 in total), since it would be bad to let them reproduce here.

Edit: By the way, what happened to the orange site layout?
Tapatalk probably updated. The webforum itself has a blue color scheme.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:23 am

SlurExe97 wrote:Edit: By the way, what happened to the orange site layout?
phpBB has updated two or three times since then. I miss it, too!!

Nice to see you again. :)

Amazing pic!!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
SlurExe97

Post by SlurExe97 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 pm

I've missed a lot then - nice to see some familiar faces still here! Haven't had any hermits since moving to Canada, but rediscovered this forum when I found these little guys. It's cool how they carry around mini versions of themselves.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Incredible picture! I have a ton of these guys - and have never looked at the bottom of one this close!! Thank you for sharing!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Within a week of only having six I already have 2 moms pregnant!
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
SlurExe97

Post by SlurExe97 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Smartphone cameras are incredibly powerful these days - that's what I'm using to take my pictures. Stick a magnifier up to the lens and shoot away, although it's hard to get clear pics. Needs lots of light and steady hands! Either way, it's a good alternative to a microscope if you don't have one.

That is incredibly quick. I thought they'd like to get adjusted to their new environment first, but it appears they don't really care.