Other animals in with isopods

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Hezekiah

Other animals in with isopods

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello everyone!
I started an isopod colony a few weeks ago, and it seems to be going well. There are a lot of babies in there, and the adults seem healthy. However, I must have brought in extra animals with the compost I used for substrate, because I now have baby earthworms and some centipedes in there as well. I was wondering, is that a bad thing? When I introduce the isopods into the crabitat I'll take them out one at a time so that nothing else goes in, but I wanted to make sure that the other bugs will not harm the isopods. I also saw on here that crabs can eat earthworms, so I was thinking maybe I could chop up a worm and add it to their food (although I don't know if I could do that to the poor worm :cry: )

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Other animals in with isopods

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Centepedes will hunt the isopods.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hezekiah

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Uh-oh... What do you recommend? Trying to take out all the centipedes, or dumping everything and starting over... :?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Oh man...I could never harm any creature. You can't find a dead worm on the driveway or sidewalk?

The only things I have in with my isopods is springtails.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Crabs hunt and eat isopods, too....

So long as the centepedes aren't reproducing, you can remove or dispatch them as you find them. I actually have the opposite problem - I ended up with isopods in my millipede tank and have to remove them or else they will eat the baby millipedes and eggs. It's a slow battle.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hezekiah

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks for your help! I think I will just remove the centipedes as I find them; I have only seen one or two, so I don't think they are a huge threat. As for the worms, we'll see... I don't want to kill them, but finding a dead worm outside sounds really gross! Maybe my hermits will just have to do without worms on the menu for now. ;)