Isopods: How many is too many?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
hermiwormi

Isopods: How many is too many?

Post by hermiwormi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm

How would I be able to tell if my isopods in the crabitat are out of control? I've seen plenty since the babies I've put in have grown and bred, but how can I know when they're getting out of hand? Also, if they do, how can I get rid of them?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Re: Isopods: How many is too many?

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:43 am

hermiwormi wrote:How would I be able to tell if my isopods in the crabitat are out of control? I've seen plenty since the babies I've put in have grown and bred, but how can I know when they're getting out of hand? Also, if they do, how can I get rid of them?

My thread had a similar issue from another crabber. @GotButterflies said she just taps the Cholla wood and oak bark into a tote to keep them under control. She keeps separate totes for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:23 am

ciaraalston wrote:
hermiwormi wrote:How would I be able to tell if my isopods in the crabitat are out of control? I've seen plenty since the babies I've put in have grown and bred, but how can I know when they're getting out of hand? Also, if they do, how can I get rid of them?

My thread had a similar issue from another crabber. @GotButterflies said she just taps the Cholla wood and oak bark into a tote to keep them under control. She keeps separate totes for them.

Oh, Alright. I have a storage tote set up as well Image Are there and bad effects they can have on the tat and crabs if they aren't kept in control?

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:03 am

hermiwormi wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:

Oh, Alright. I have a storage tote set up as well Image Are there and bad effects they can have on the tat and crabs if they aren't kept in control?

Not that I know of? I haven't heard of anything besides people say they just irritate the crabs. Hopefully an expert chimes in Image
I was terrified of over breeding at first but mine, so far, are still in check. They're breeding, but not crazy fast.

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:04 am

Here's the link to a thread where some folks discussed their isopods taking over.
Hope it helps ImageImage

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I personally have seen my crabs get irritated with them. Mainly my larger PPs. My tanks were literally OVERRUN with them - it was INSANE. After taking all cholla and cork bark out of my crabitats and knocking them into a tote, I ended up taking a shop vac to my tanks before I got them under control. Now, once a week I take the wood out and still knock it into my tote.

So many people say they keep themselves in check. I don't believe it. I've also seen them dig - and seen them go into my msw to drink. They have tunnels down the front of my tanks. IDK... There is another crabber on here that went through the same experience I did!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Mine in my 55 haven't been breeding out of control..... There's a good bit under the coconut hut, and a some under the mopani wood, but the oak bark and around I only see a few. Doesn't seem over run, unless I just don't see them?

Here's a pic I took of my tote this morning. There's a bunch of babies across the front. It's hard to see on the pic but in person there's at least 20! Image

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:51 pm

On the Isopods caresheet that I read it said that they "should" die off as tank conditions allow. I guess if you have perfect habitat conditions for them you will not experience a die off.

My wife just found out her daughter's bearded dragon GorGor likes them. She gave some to him and chased and ate whatever he could catch. I guess if you become over run using them for live food for a spider, reptile or amphibian can be an option as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Oh yes - most definitely - our box turtle and pac man frog LOVE THEM! One of my other crabby friends that are a couple (Mike and Missy) are over run with them also...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com