Other bugs in isopod tank?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
girlwfreckles

Other bugs in isopod tank?

Post by girlwfreckles » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 pm

I didn’t know whether to post this in this topic or other big topic? But I’ve had my roly polys for about 5 weeks. I got about 30 from my friend’s garden because she doesn’t use any weed killer or anything then I bought another 30 online. I have them in their own tub while they’re mating so I can wait until I have enough to put half or more into my hermit crab tank. So they finally reproduced and I’ve got lots of little babies crawling around. However I’m trying to figure out what these other bugs are. The rolly Polly babies look like tiny rolly pollies bit I’ve got these other bugs that are also white and like the size of a spec of dust very, very small. I looked up mites and they don’t seem to be that. They’re more like tear drop shaped? If that makes sense so that’s why I don’t think they’re rolly pollies because they’re not the right shape and like I said much smaller than even the smallest isopod babies I’ve seen. But I also have no clue where they would’ve come from. Possibly a few leaves? The substrate is organic soil from a bag because I read it didn’t have to be as crazy specific as the hermit crabs, the bark is from my hermit crab tank which came from the store. The moss is also from the store/my hermit crab tank. So where did these other bugs come from? Apparently I also somehow mated snails because I saw a baby in there. If I knew how to upload pictures or video I could show you. They seem to be living fine with the rolly pollies so I don’t think they’re effecting anything but I am worried about putting the isopods into my HC and possibly the other bugs before knowing what they are and if they could harm my HC.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Other bugs in isopod tank?

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:43 pm

They’re probably just springtails. They won’t hurt your isopods or your hermit crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
girlwfreckles

Re: Other bugs in isopod tank?

Post by girlwfreckles » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Ok thank you!