random isopod??

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Happyghetti

random isopod??

Post by Happyghetti » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:55 pm

I was changing out my hermies' food tonight when I spotted a small pillbug likely cleaning up some of the uneaten food, I'm really not sure how it got in there. should I try and hunt it down and get it out or would it be fine to leave it in as a small "clean-er upper" there was only one and it was one of the common grey bugs you find under rocks in your own yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: random isopod??

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 pm

That depends on if you want a new pet pillbug ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Happyghetti wrote:I was changing out my hermies' food tonight when I spotted a small pillbug likely cleaning up some of the uneaten food, I'm really not sure how it got in there. should I try and hunt it down and get it out or would it be fine to leave it in as a small "clean-er upper" there was only one and it was one of the common grey bugs you find under rocks in your own yard.

One. And I mean one is fine just hope it's not a pregnant female. Lol. I literally dump excess pill bugs daily from my main tank and it's never ending. I've never should have done this.

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Isopods are great (I personally tried them and they were fine, I just couldn't deal with them because I hate bugs) but it is a little suspicious that you don't know where he came from. Try searching around the tank to see if there are any more maybe? It could be potentially dangerous if stuff from the outside world can get into the tank easily.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
Happyghetti

Post by Happyghetti » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:51 pm

avamin2005 wrote:Isopods are great (I personally tried them and they were fine, I just couldn't deal with them because I hate bugs) but it is a little suspicious that you don't know where he came from. Try searching around the tank to see if there are any more maybe? It could be potentially dangerous if stuff from the outside world can get into the tank easily.
I believe when I was mixing some substrate to add to their upgrade tank that it could have gotten in the bucket and I didnt notice and added it in with the little guy in there, hopefully it wont get out of hand, as I've heard many stories of them taking over the tank

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Happyghetti wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:51 pm
I believe when I was mixing some substrate to add to their upgrade tank that it could have gotten in the bucket and I didnt notice and added it in with the little guy in there, hopefully it wont get out of hand, as I've heard many stories of them taking over the tank

Yeah, I have heard those stories too, but I think a couple isopod buddies are worth a go. Is that one isopod still around? I'd recommend keeping him and seeing how that goes :)
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
Happyghetti

Post by Happyghetti » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:01 pm

avamin2005 wrote: Yeah, I have heard those stories too, but I think a couple isopod buddies are worth a go. Is that one isopod still around? I'd recommend keeping him and seeing how that goes :)
as far as I know he lives under their food dish and is still there, maybe I'll add some more in because I know we dont use any pesticides in our yard and no one around us does either ImageImage