Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:35 pm

SueBHoney, I've never had a problem with them eating away at my plants. However, those very pretty but nasty Japanese Beetles have found and attacked my American Redbud this year :evil:

Lady WolfStorm
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Lady WolfStorm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:29 pm

I haven't gone out into the backyard to look for RPs, but we get quarterly treatings for ants, roaches, and the like so I am afraid that the RP's may also be affected. Is there a certain time of day they may be out and about?

I've tried looking on eBay under "pill bug" "sow bug" and rollie pollie and all I get is the plush toy from "A Bug's Life"

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:34 pm

I could probably also mail some out if need be.

Lady WolfStorm
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Lady WolfStorm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:43 pm

How could they be shipped? Would it be considered "Live" animals and special care needed?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 pm

I really doubt it. Priority mail them out with some dead leaves and wet papertowels inside a ziploc bag that is full of air, I bet that would be perfect.

Lady WolfStorm
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Lady WolfStorm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:50 pm

PM or post a cost factorif you were to do this :) I need to call my sister and let her know to let her daughter collect RPs, but may be better off buying some somewhere.

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:22 pm

I don't have time to read this entire thread, but I started with about 25 of them. Now they have exploded and I'm gonna have hundreds. o.0
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:33 am

MommaChickadee wrote: However, those very pretty but nasty Japanese Beetles have found and attacked my American Redbud this year :evil:
ugh, i hate those Japanese beetles. We have a ton on our bush. grr, THEY creepy me out.

about them drowning in the pool , surround the pool with sand. I haven't had any rollie pollie drowning scenerios. :lol: Well, then agian, I only have 8 in a 20L.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:47 am

I never had a problem with the rps eating my plants before this summer. That is why my neighbor did not believe me. The rps are out in the morning and in the evening when the sun is not on them. Don't even get me started about the Japanese beetles this year.....

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:47 am

everytime someone says, "RP" I think "role play".

(yes, i am a video gamer) :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:26 am

Thought I'd add this here. I was checking out my 45g and found this little guy sleeping :)

How cute that a roly poly gave me a window!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:36 am

That's so cool Momma! :glasses2:

I think it's interesting how many people have added rollies to their tank so far. It's like a crabby "jump on the bandwagon" thing. :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:11 am

I live in a humid climate, and every morning these little guys are wandering around on my porch steps and sidewalk. After reading this thread I collected about a dozen. I have seen only one of them since, but they are probably hiding. My water bowls are on sand, so maybe they will stay away from them; they definitely prefer the EE and being under the sticks and leaves.

But what I have really been wondering is how can people who love crabs be scared of or grossed out by spiders and rollie pollies????? Seriously! :P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Bridgeweaver---Your last sentence made me laugh. I personally have never enjoyed insects of any kind, but I love crabs, toads, frogs, lizards, and the like. I refuse to get a lizard for my son because I hate the thought of the live "buggy" food. That is why I will not have RP's in my tank. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:41 am

yeah, the other day I was watching on of my crabbies climb (Little Red, to be specific) and I thought, "Man, these guys look a lot like spiders...." :hlol: Non-the-less, I love them!!!!

Oh, and I rearranged my tank last week and I found a pill bug---only one. But still, I had thought they'd all died, but they probably did after the clean if they hadn't already because I kinda got rid of all th EE. :shock: I shall go collect more buggers.