Starting over again. Want to be sure. Please read and chime in.

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabMater

Starting over again. Want to be sure. Please read and chime in.

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi everyone, I have not been by in a while. Last time I checked in it was because I was having a true crab emergency. All three of my crabs eventually took off their shells and died within 3 days. It stretched on for about a month as each one went into distress and then clung to life for a while before drying up w no shell. :(

It was months before I could even disassemble the crabitat. I was gutted. I had these little guys for about 2 yrs and to watch them die was really hard. I looked for clues.

Some posited it might be bc I didn't give them enough protein by way of red meat. But between the eggs, worms and weekly fish/shrimp/tofu and occasionally chicken on top of a wide variety of fresh fruits, veg, nuts and leaf matter, Im not sure that was diet. But I'm no expert. My thoughts then turned to my light source.

I was using a zoomed 10 UVB- 13w CFC that I had on for 10-12 hours a day + ambient light.strsing through to the sub no plastic or glass between. If that bulb was faulty, is it possible they didn't get essental minerals bc the light wasn't strong enough? Sometimes one or two of my boys would hang upside down on the grate, I used to think they just were basking. Maybe they weren't getting enough light?

I also found trace amounts of rusty grate in some places of substrate. When my screen lid disingrated, I covered it with plastic crafting canvas, but occasionally Id find some rust. I picked it out as I was house cleaning. I read that once it was believed rust was very dangerous but that has been shown to not be bad. And it was never in the food or water dishes.

I still have an empty 40B w all the trimmings. I was planning on scraping 2" of sub off and tossing it out. Sterilizing the rest and reassembling the tat.

But I'm afraid. Afraid of subjecting another group to the awful end of streaking and evental death.
My ER template is probably still active if you're interested. I miss being a Crab Mater but I'd like to make sure I never have a incident of losing 3 souls again.

Any advice or anticdotes would be great. Thanks for reading.
CM
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Starting over again. Want to be sure. Please read and chime in.

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Hey Crabmater! I'm so sorry to hear your guys didn't make it! What a bummer! I wondered what happened to you.

Diet plays a very important part of these guys lives. It is crucial that they get protein and calcium. That is the fundamental building blocks to their well being, but so is the rest of the food pyramid. Those are just the most important parts. I know you don't eat meat (I don't either), but I do provide it for my crabbies.

Lighting - a 12 hour day/night cycle is needed - but UVB is not.

Rust - You don't want to expose them to it - a little rust on the lid is fine.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Hey GB long time. Yeah, all souls lost. 3/>
I definitely will watch my crabbies protein intake.

Just gun-shy about starting a new colony. I'll be around. I rely on HCA for everything Hermits.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Don't be. You've got this! Maybe their crabitat got too cold or wasn't humid enough.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Starting over is hard I bet. When the time is right you’ll give it another go I’m sure and we’ll be here cheering you and your new crabs on all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:28 am

Thanks Lee :crabbigsmile:

MORE SUBSTRATE!

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm

It is hard to start over. The important thing to do, is to start over when you feel ready. Don't let this be the end of your pets/hobby
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom