Separating crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Separating crabs

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am

I have 6 pp's in a 40 gal b. That's if they are all alive. And I have 8 in a 90 gal. I recently saw 6 up at once so I know at least 6 are alive. A couple in the 40 are on the smaller end of large so I planned to upgrade them to a 75, which I'm in process of setting up. However, at least 3 in the 90 are larger. So if more of them keep growing that tank will be too small for 8 crabs. I am thinking of taking maybe 1 large from the 90 and putting him in the 75 with the others from the 40. But that won't really give them enough room. And all the guys in the 90 get along. I would hate to break up friends. There is a bully in the 40. I don't want to have 3 colonies. That's 3 times the care. I would love to have a HUGE tank and have just one colony. I really don't know who to transfer. Any ideas?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

jrleath

Re: Separating crabs

Post by jrleath » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm

I have often thought about how to connect several tanks besides using them as toppers. Maybe make something they can migrate from one tank to the other. Probably not feasible but that’s all I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm

jrleath wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm
I have often thought about how to connect several tanks besides using them as toppers. Maybe make something they can migrate from one tank to the other. Probably not feasible but that’s all I got.

That would be awesome. I'll keep it in mind. But what if I remove a glass side of 2 tanks and for some reason it doesn't work.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

jrleath

Post by jrleath » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Well I was thinking more along the lines of using tubes or enclosed bridge they could crawl through from one tank to another.

jrleath

Post by jrleath » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 am

If possible use two or more tanks side by side and stagger topper tanks and put something they can crawl up and over into the next tank.

jrleath

Post by jrleath » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 am