Moving shells

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Moving shells

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:47 pm

So, this seems like a really dumb thing to be concerned about, but one of my crabs moved shells last night or some time during the day and the shell he picked seems a bit too big for him. (I know I shouldn’t pick him up, but I picked up his shell to measure because both of the hermit crabs I just got seemed to be in shells too small) I picked it up and he wasn’t in there anymore! So, we found him in another shell. Is this too big? Should I be concerned about shell jacking with my other hermit crab? I planned on ordering them both shells tonight as we only have three more on hand. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Re: Moving shells

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:48 pm

This is the size of the shell he came out of. Image

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 pm

I wouldn't worry. Some crabs like pajamas that are way too small, and some like ones that are way too big. My crab Kaulder was in a shell that was just a bit too big for her before she molted. But since she's molted, it fits nicely...that is if she would have stayed in it. She's probably changed shells 6 times since then lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 pm

I just wasn’t expecting it so soon! Lol. But I have more shells getting here on Wednesday so hopefully the other crab can wait until then.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:09 pm

That's great you ordered more shells. I wouldn't doubt if he'd hop into one of those as soon as you put them in there.

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
-George Bernard Shaw

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Like CrabbyLover77 previously mentioned, don't worry! It's fine!
Just make sure their previous shell is clean in case they change their mind and want to go back! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Like CrabbyLover77 previously mentioned, don't worry! It's fine!
Just make sure their previous shell is clean in case they change their mind and want to go back! :)
And boy do they change their mind...a lot haha!

-George Bernard Shaw

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:20 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Like CrabbyLover77 previously mentioned, don't worry! It's fine!
The problem with that is it has some holes in it and I think that’s why he was so quick to move out. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Ah I see. Check to see if it holds water. If it holds water it is fine.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Jadeamber22 wrote: The problem with that is it has some holes in it and I think that’s why he was so quick to move out. Image

That could be a possibility of why he chose a shell too large, because it was better than something with holes. But you're in good shape with new shells on the way. Then he can pick pants that fit him better.

-George Bernard Shaw

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Ah I see. Check to see if it holds water. If it holds water it is fine.
It does not just ran some water through it. But that is the shell I bought him in. Poor guy.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Ah man! Poor guy for sure! You can always crush it up and use it for calcium :)

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 pm

He’s wandering around now though. He seems to be liking the new shell. I had to replace their water bowls and put a tunnel in instead of the big pyramid I had as a hiding place before because I was wanting to be able to keep an eye on them to make sure there was no fighting. I don’t believe he is please with the new arrangement though because he is walking around chirping.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:42 pm

Typically when they chirp they are in distress or if they are displeased with something.
My Es chirp for no reason though - If nothing is bothering him - he might just be like them!

Topic author
Jadeamber22

Post by Jadeamber22 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Typically when they chirp they are in distress or if they are displeased with something.
My Es chirp for no reason though - If nothing is bothering him - he might just be like them!
Maybe! I’m hoping he will be okay. I’m just very nervous because I’ve never done this before. Lol.