Where’s Turbo?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Where’s Turbo?

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:28 pm

So I had posted a while back about how I thought my OC Hermione had probably passed bc one of my other crabs (that would tunnel daily) came up in her shell and I hadn’t seen her in about 2 months...so I had assumed she passed on and Turbo found her shell. Well, great news...Hermione came up wearing a completely different shell and she is absolutely beautiful! I was sooo relieved!

My excitement was short-lived though. The night Turbo came up in her old shell, the other crabs got pretty aggressive with him and this is not the norm in my tank. One in particular, Gary, crawled on top of him and I don’t know how else to describe it other than it looked like he was tap dancing on top of poor Turbo. He was rocking him and also using his big pincher like a hammer (normal?). I never saw any pinching or pulling, but this was also all observed on my night vision and it’s not always easy to catch stuff. The situation lasted several minutes and all I could do was watch the video knowing there was nothing I could do since it had already happened. After Gary got off of him, Turbo laid there for a couple minutes and then got up and walked away, seemingly fine. Well, I’m concerned bc I haven’t seen him since...and he is easily my most active crab. This was about a week ago and he had just come up from a molt himself, so I don’t think it’s that.

I’m worried that he was injured and could be suffering. Could he just be hiding or de-stressing after what happened to him? I’ve looked in all the nooks and crannies of the tank, but I can’t go digging around bc I have 2 under.

What do y’all think? Is there anything I can do...should do? Worried about him. Image

On a happier note, here’s my Hermione Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where’s Turbo?

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:36 pm

To me, it sounds like a dominance display. Mine do similar to show who us boss, as long as there's no pinching or overly aggressive, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Congrats on Hermione btw!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:57 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:To me, it sounds like a dominance display. Mine do similar to show who us boss, as long as there's no pinching or overly aggressive, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Congrats on Hermione btw!
Thanks for the quick reply! I figured it was either that or Gary wanted that shell, but either way, I’m worried bc I haven’t seen him since and he’s usually very active. Is a week not that long to be worried about him...think he’s just de-stressing from it?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:09 pm

Maybe, or it could just be he is buried and its unrelated (digging for fun!) ^_^
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:27 pm

Oh wow, she's got a big pincher there! What a pretty girl!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 pm

Hermione is adorable! She looks a lot like my crab, Opal!
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:23 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Maybe, or it could just be he is buried and its unrelated (digging for fun!) ^_^
That’s what I’m hoping for...thing is, I haven’t seen him at all in a week, even in my night vision (I watch every morning). It’s just unusual bc he is super active. He does love to dig, but he would always come up, every night still! Guess I just have to wait it out. Fingers crossed!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you CL and HH! I think she is just so pretty and she’s special bc she is the reason I started crabbing in the first place, my OC. And yes, her claw...so big and purple! Love her .

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:16 pm

crabbycasey wrote:Thank you CL and HH! I think she is just so pretty and she’s special bc she is the reason I started crabbing in the first place, my OC. And yes, her claw...so big and purple! Love her Image.

ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav